NASA FL New Battery Hold Down Requirement

Hey guys!

I was forwarded this info from NASA FL management regarding a new requirement for SpecE30 moving forward.

Some of you may have seen the pictures of Ron Harness’s rollover last month in the Norcal forum. If not, check this out: http://spece30.com/component/option,com_kunena/Itemid,94/func,view/id,36542/catid,22/limit,10/limitstart,10/

The battery in his car came loose in the roll over, so we’ll need to begin running a more robust tie down than the stock set-up. The Norcal guys have mandated a supplemental restraint, and the Southeast region followed their lead. NASA FL is jumping on the bandwagon as well.

[i]Folks, We had a failure in a battery hold down that was legal in SE30. The stock setup just didn’t hold the battery in a roll over. This is what we are mandating (pics attached). It doesn’t have to be exactly this, but something like it.
Jerry

Subject: Reminder - Battery Hold Down Requirement
Hey Everyone,
Just a reminder. Due to the failure of the stock battery hold-downs in Ron’s car at Thunderhill, NASA NorCal has mandated that the batteries in SpecE30 race cars need to have positive hold down systems. Attached is a photo of what a positive hold down looks like. The parts for this can be found at your local hardwared store for less than $10. I bought some threaded rod, nylock nuts, fender washers and some steel flat stock. The threaded rod go through the floor board beneath the plastic battery tray and are secured with fender washers and nylock nuts.
Scott[/i]

The first two photos are the examples I was forwarded with the message. The third photo is the positive bracket we have in our car already. (We needed it for either BMW CCA or PBOC… can’t remember which off the top of my head). It wasn’t too tricky and should be an easy enough weekend project.

Not that any of us are going to need this - we like out cars nice, straight and shiny down here in FL - but no one wants the battery flying around should something go to crap in a hurry =)

Thanks!

in case anybody from another region is reading this, this is a NASA National mandate so is required in all regions.
bruce

Florida Guys (and Gal),

I just bought the bits to replicate this set up. My bill at ACE hardware was $24 but $14 of that was a 4’ minimum section of 1" aluminum tubing. Since I only need about 10" :laugh: , I’ll have at least three more sections of tubing that you guys can use if you want a replica as well.

Let me know if you can use the extra tubing and I’ll bring the parts this weekend.

Don