NASA and Florida

So considering there seems to be only less than 5 SE cars in the ‘field’, who is racing any time soon?

My brother and I are considering building a car…

Don did you get your car done yet? Who built the cage?

Don and I had our cages done at Mark McMahon in Canton, Ohio (long story). I have my car at Riggins in Jacksonville for an extra bar for the door right now.

We both had our cars at Roebling and Sebring. I think we are both just about done.

I’m hoping to be racing at some point in the near future. I just finished building my engine and the stripping of the car has begun. I’m hoping to get suspension/brakes/wear&tear items done in time to have it on track April for another HPDE school and then maybe doing the Comp. School in May. And as soon as money and time allow getting it race-ready with seats/cage/safety stuff. At some point after that my brother might get inspired to start racing and get a car of his own.

As far as cages go, I’m thinking of getting a Kirk Cage and having my friend weld it, pending some measurements to make sure I don’t need to make some custom adjustments to allow me to fit in the car as I’m 6’4". If I need to go custom then I don’t know what I’ll do exactly yet…

I’ve also heard of about 4 other cars that are being built down here in Florida. From what I hear they are at various stages of completion but I think most expect to be on track this year.

That sounds like pretty good progress for you Florida folks!

Maybe if the Starke, FL track ever gets built, we could meet there and have a Fla/Ga scrum, along the lines of the ‘World’s Largest Outdoor Cocktail Party’, except ours would be with Margaritas from a gas-powered blender!

Keep posting up progress, pictures, issues and questions.

As John Black correctly stated I am just about done with the basic build. I need a few minor things to be NASA legal and I need to remove another 50 lbs or so from the car to be right on the legal weight.

I have raced it once at PBOC Winterfest and as John also states we were at Roebling “testing” last weekend. I plan to race the car at Roebling in May with the SE group.

After the May Roebling event my car will go to Ohio for the Summer with my partner and if all the planets align properly I will race it again at the Sebring event in October.

I’ll probably be at the Sebring event in June instructing so if any of you FL guys are coming out to that event let’s co-ordinate schedules to meet there.

Don

ctbimmer wrote:

Did Chuck just call us Florida Scum? Oh…it is on!

:slight_smile:

I do wonder why Florida has it’s own region… Most Fl guys run up at Roebling and RA; so why not merge the two. There are only what like 8 of us (at the most) ?

That way we won’t feel lonely…hah!

Anyways I plan to meet up with John on Sunday to check out his clean SE30… hopefully make some progress.

jblack wrote:

[quote]ctbimmer wrote:

Did Chuck just call us Florida Scum? Oh…it is on!

:)[/quote]For a guy from Ohio, you seem to have adopted the UF spelling proficiency.

Note the difference: S.C.R.U.M vs S.C.U.M

One is a large, unruly, pile of dirty, sweaty, amateur athletes. The other is … actually, pretty much the same! Hah, maybe I did call youse Fla guys scum! :wink:

Heck, I’m actually a native Yankee, so what am I even doing here?