Motortrend truck of the year: F150

http://www.motortrend.com/oftheyear/truck/1202_2012_truck_of_the_year_ford_f_150/

Interesting how much they like the eco-boost engine. They didn’t find much of an mpg increase, but testers tend to drive the car’s pretty hard so maybe if they’d a breathed the throttle a bit they’d a found a few more mpg.

They’re crazy, why a smaller motor with turbos that will add stuff that will break, and work the engine harder to do the same thing. I’ll take my Tundra extra cab with a full size bed any day that I bought new a few months back for $26k. Towing is a different thing, and a turbo V6 1/2 ton is not the way.

friend of mine recently bought an ecoboost f150 as a tow rig, he loves it. like it or not, FI is here to stay and usage is increasing.

i have to agree, FI is the way of the future, i wouldn’t always go turbo over not in any vehicle. They are simply better. you get the milage when you keep your foot out and power when you want it. as for towing, turbos are all about torque, what more do you want for towing?

Surprisingly, a fellow SE30 racer has one and it has been nothing but trouble. :huh:

Details please as I have been considering an Ecoboost purchase next year.

Maybe Brandon will chime in.

[quote=“Ranger” post=61785]Interesting how much they like the eco-boost engine. They didn’t find much of an mpg increase, but testers tend to drive the car’s pretty hard so maybe if they’d a breathed the throttle a bit they’d a found a few more mpg.[/quote]I am about 95% sure an Ecoboost SuperCrew will replace my X5 soon. I’m interested in Brandon’s experience. A friend of a friend, service manager at a Ford store near Atlanta, said they haven’t had any come back with problems.

Re: fuel economy - I see they tested a truck with the 3.73. Given the EB’s torque advantage down low, I would imagine a 3.15 or 3.31-equipped EB would return better mileage especially on the highway. You give up some rated towing capacity though.

[holiday music] I’m dreaming of an enclosed trailer…[/holiday music]

[quote=“Steve D” post=61800].

[holiday music] I’m dreaming of an enclosed trailer…[/holiday music][/quote]

The guy I bought the E30 from is selling his 26’ enclosed trailer for cheap. I bet you could get it for $4k. I have some pics.

If you are towing with a X5 then we are not talking about towing the same things. If you have more than a aluminum open trailer, then you need to step up. If you are going to get a enclosed 24’, even a Featherlite or similar, then I would not get anything less then a 3/4 ton truck. I have towed with many combinations, and while a 1/2 ton will do it, there will be instances when you wish you had more. You need to plan for the bad stuff that can happen while towing, not just the minimal to get the job done.

FWIW, I love my '05 150. Towing the E30 for upwards of 4 years now - no problems at all. Big red F150 FTW! :woohoo:

Maybe Brandon will chime in.[/quote]

If it is not the race car it is the truck. Actually after the last trip to the shop the truck has seemed to be fixed of all the problems.

We bought the truck brand new and after 500 miles we had to take it back for a bad hesitation. After replacing the catalytic converter our problems have gone away. Talking to the service manager we learned that we were the third truck to come in with this problem.

As far as gas milage goes you can get 22 on the highway at 65, anything over that and you drop mpg fast. Towing to VIR and Ra we can average 14.5-15 not bad but we have a open trailer.

As far as the power it is very impressive, I get pretty bad gas milage because I can’t stay out of the throttle, it is very impressive for a truck. The local shop by me has dyno’ed a ecoboost truck and it made 300hp and 375 tq, not bad for a v6…

Twice the power and twice the mileage of my truck, but can you get it with manual trans?

No manual option. I enjoyed the 6 speed manual in my Nissan Frontier, but towing with a manual gets annoying having to use the clutch and shift gears on the Interstate. 22 mpg driving to work (mostly 45 and 55 mph highway) and 15 mpg towing is about what I was hoping for if I decide to buy one next year.