Motor Mounts, need new ones

During the search for a somewhat elusive oil leak, another issue became very apparent.

The motor mounts are pretty much failing/delaminating/crumbling. So those need replacing, might as well get some transmission mounts, too. Is there a standard that has been set as to preference? I see the AKG poly 75D, the Group N 80A (trans only), Vorshlag has some options, but they all seem to have metal caps, which makes me think “not legal”, Bimmerworld has a heavy duty replacement, but they’re on backorder. And then there’s stock. Any thoughts?

TIA!

And I just found this thread - http://www.spece30.com/forum/42-engine/52865-motor-mounts

So is AKG still the prevailing choice?

I like the red ones from AKG for both trans and motor. Otherwise stock motor mounts drilled out to allow a bolt to pass through work well with E21 trans mounts (green), but you can’t really beat the AKG mounts…

I would not worry about the mounts with metal “caps” being illegal. The rules say no “solid” mounts. That is apparently interpreted to mean “solid metal” mounts since no one seems to want to use non-solid mounts be they liquid or gaseous. The mounts with metal caps just distribute the load across the whole non-metal bushing piece sandwiched inside.

I have some barely used OEM engine mounts you can have for $10 shipped. Not as rigid as harder mounts, but certainly a bargain.

Thanks. I shot you off an email.

I have the IE mounts which have steel discs molded into the top and bottom so you can’t really see them. I’ve also had them in my 87is since a catastrophic failure of the mounts and tabs caused the motor to shift and cut a radiator hose. It’s a good time to reinforce the subframe tabs and install a crank scraper while you’re at it.

Got em today. Thanks, Scott!