'Marines' Car Updates

ilateapex wrote:

[quote]Is that Mid-Ohio with NASA? You running Spec E30? We need more racers.

Michael
#36 Great Lakes Region[/quote]

I’m only in HPDE. It’ll be a while before I go wheel to wheel in Spec E30. The car is an A triple F system and kill switch away from being complete. I’ll probably head back to the mild environs of the Carolinas very soon.

Well, if you are at Mid-O in April with NASA we plan on having a Spec E30 area for racers and DE guys alike. Come by and pit with us or at least say hi. Look for the car in my Sig. Hard to miss.

Michael

I shall. Thank you. I’ll be tent camping. -With more blankets than I had at VIR in Feb.

uh60fixer wrote:

I’m sorry. Of course. The evil politicians, er, I mean polluters who drive cars have invented this, er I mean caused this awful warming of the earth which causes occasional DQ Blizzards made from frozen yet still very dangerous dihydrogen monoxide. When in a liquid state dihydrogen monoxide has wiped out entire cities! If only the politicians would recognize the danger of this hazardous material and outlaw it! We would never have criminals wielding “H[size=2]2[/size]O” if it were banned.

Never mind. Go Navy, Beat Army!:stuck_out_tongue:

I will be camping in the trailer as well. Dave N. will be camping as well and maybe Simon. Head over to the OH/IN forum and get some more info. I will be there on Thursday Evening and my family (wife, two kids) will be up on Friday evening. Also, my Dad (crew chief) and his girlfriend will be there on Thursday but they always stay at a local B&B.

Michael

Teufelauto wrote:

[quote]uh60fixer wrote:

I’m sorry. Of course. The evil politicians, er, I mean polluters who drive cars have invented this, er I mean caused this awful warming of the earth which causes occasional DQ Blizzards made from frozen yet still very dangerous dihydrogen monoxide. When in a liquid state dihydrogen monoxide has wiped out entire cities! If only the politicians would recognize the danger of this hazardous material and outlaw it! We would never have criminals wielding “H[size=2]2[/size]O” if it were banned.

Never mind. Go Navy, Beat Army!:P[/quote]

I agree! People have drowned from dihydrogen monoxide! Plus, it contributes to rust in our beloved E30s! It MUST be banned! Al Gore, are you listening!!!

Oh…anyone but Air Force. :wink:

So I missed Mid Ohio because I was moving to a new job… back in NC, again.

And now, the news.

On the way to CMP Friday, I hit a pothole with my trailer that broke the rubber straps that keep the right fender on. The fender flew off at 50 MPH and crashed into the pavement behind me, making a terrible sound that quickly diverted my eyes to the rear view mirror. In it, I saw a small black cloud of smoke with sparks flying through it; and out shoots a six foot long, red projectile. The now flatened steel fender slid to the outside of the curve and came to rest on the shoulder. The fender was collected, and with some mild cursing, I continued on.

The events on track caused no such frustration. It was a perfect HPDE weekend with no offs and increasing comfort. First session Sunday, a 350z decided the tire wall was part of the kink and ended the session before my tires even got up to temp. My video just missed it as I was going down the front straight.

My technique improved throughout Sunday, but the increasing heat really slickened up the tires and track. I was releasing more and more air from my tires after every session to keep the pressure rise in check. Even so, turn 13 was oversteer heaven and my ‘slip angle’ sometimes was more akin to a ‘drift angle.’

The kink was a blast! By Sunday I knew which cars used thier brakes for it, so I was able to drop back some so I wouldn’t be ON them going through it. Using the right hand curbing there seemed natural. When up to speed, it felt amazing to track out at the left side. I really sensed that I had accomplished something.

There was a Miata that could get away from me and I was really trying my best to keep up. Then I realised he had R-Comps. My Kumho MX’s are pretty sticky for a streeet tire, but… (enter canned excuse here) Review of my video shows laps somewhere in the 2m04s area during Sunday afternoon. I doubt throwin’ on my Toyos would give me the twelve seconds needed to vie for pole, so I have a lot of work ahead of me! :wink:

Thanks to all, for the great weekend. (Even those chickens that woke me on Sunday morning.)

I am selling the car, trailer, and all the spare parts on ebay.

Teufelauto wrote:

Bummer. I always loved your paintjob. Best of luck to you Jamie,
-Former SGT Gress, USMC.