Magic computer?

Is there a Bosch computer that is the magic computer for these cars. I know there are some part numbers that have a speed limiter and the like that you don’t want, but is there a computer that people generally like for these? I’m going to pick up a spare as I don’t have a spare computer for my car. Thoughts? Thanks.

-Scott

Most common DMEs people are using is the 173 and 153. The full list of DME part #'s is in the back of the CCR. The old threads re. speedlimiter will tell you the DME part # or two to stay away from.

Tip: don’t assume any used ecu you buy has a stock chip in it…

The 525 DME has a speed limiter. You can cut a wire to disable, but it also disables the speedo. Not an issue if you use custom gauges that intercept the diff speed signal before the DME.

Voice of experience? :wink:

Scott,

I have several ECUs if you’re interested. I was just looking at them thinking, why am I hanging on to those.

3-173s and 1-525. I think the 525 has a chip in it.

Jason

The speed limiter ones really work. Just for fun one time, on a chassis dyno, I had the operator go into 5th so we could look for it, and as the car approached true 130mph, it started a very soft cutout.

Having said that, the actual performance of the ECU up to that point was pretty much on par with the other boxes we were testing that day, and given that there are few tracks where we can hit a true 130, I’d consider having it at least as a backup spare. I think it was a 525.

Mid-ohio I was hitting the limiter down the back straight and was the reason for the swap to the other ECU. I thought something was wrong with the car.