M-Tech rear spoiler not legal, right?

I’ve seen older posts regarding cars with M-tech spoilers, but my reading of the current rules is that ONLY the is spoiler is now permitted. Correct?

[quote=“cosm3os” post=61943]I’ve seen older posts regarding cars with M-tech spoilers, but my reading of the current rules is that ONLY the is spoiler is now permitted. Correct?[/quote] Correct. Only OEM trunk spoiler. Even the absence of the OEM spoiler would be illegal.

Where does it say that?

9.3.13.4. The original 325is rear trunk lid spoiler (lip) or aftermarket product with the same form
and fit is permitted.

I wish we could run rear wings,

but its really illegal NOT to have an is lip?

I would not take ‘is permitted’ to mean ‘must have’.

Where does it say that?

9.3.13.4. The original 325is rear trunk lid spoiler (lip) or aftermarket product with the same form
and fit is permitted.[/quote]
I read that as you are allowed to have only that spoiler, but not as requiring it.

I thought that all i and is E30’s came with the trunk lip, no? If they all came with it, than by definition we have to have it. If some i’s and is’s did not have it, than we don’t have to have it.

The “e” is not an allowed model in our class, therefore the fact that some e’s came w/o the spoiler isn’t relevant…or so my theory goes. Yes, I know that we have some e chassis’ racing, but I guess they are cosidered to be an i/is once the relavant parts are upgraded.

I don’t think any 4 door cars came with it. Mine did not. By “form and fit” I say that means it can be made of anything as long as it exactly the same shape and mounted in the same way as the IS spoiler.

The spoiler was not standard on the “i” cars. I had an 89 325I that was without spoiler…

I concur. Only the “is” and previous “es” cars had the rear deck spoiler as standard. It may have an option on the “i” 2dr and 4 dr sedans but not standard by any means.

You know it would be interesting to see wind tunnel video and data to determine if that whimpy thing does much of anything. Particularly at our cornering speeds. I can imagine that it “spoils” the air at Autobahn speeds and may improve ultimate top speed by a an mph or two. But does it provide any down force at 60 mph crner speed? - C’mon man :huh:

Looks like I stand corrected.

I think this is the only legal downforce generator in this series…

[attachment=1719]full-20earth2.jpg[/attachment]