Looking to build a car, Hello all!

Id like to introduce myself and my car to you guys. I am currently a college student at Kettering university (GMI for you older guys) in flint mi. I have been looking at spec e30 for a little while and it just looks like so much fun!

I currently have an 86 325e that I will be building over this winter to run in some DE’s and hopefully get my nasa license to run with you guys!

welcome aboard, as a GM alum i’ve worked with a lot of people from GMI(O)

Welcome! Looking forward to having another Great Lakes SE30 member on board!

Btw, I know of a good “i” motor and trans for sale in the Cleveland area if you need it. Very reasonable price, too.

I am actually in the market.

I wasn’t fully sure if the transmission was different in the “e” maybe you can help with this?

Same transmission. no problems there. You’ll eventually want a Limited Slip Diff in the 3.73 ratio. Came on some 325i’s as an option and most 325i/e “S” models too. Check the forums for a way to discern if you have an “open” or “limited slip” diff. Easy way- jack up the rear so both tires are off the ground. turn one tire by hand. if the other tire turns in the opposite direction then it’s OPEN. If they turn the same direction then its a LSD.

Thanks, I am very aware of the differential and actually have one on its way. I believe the diff actually has the ratio stamped in the cover and a letter code for open vs. lsd.

Anyway, Z3spddmn if you could get me the contact info for that motor that would be sweet!

Figured I’d update this with some of the recent happenings.

So about a week ago I broke a rocker arm in my eta motor which took the car off the road for a bit… While I was fixing it I also was able to get the 3.73 diff installed. I also have received a full set of powerflex bushings that will soon be going on the car. I will post pictures of the “old” vs “new” bushings… should be interesting to see how many pieces the rear subframe bushings are in :stuck_out_tongue:

Also some other parts came, camber/caster plates, solid rear topmounts, and strut braces. I will be holding off on installing the camber plates and rear mounts until I have the spec struts and springs. Hope to get those within the next couple of months, however it is FSAE build term with race term following so I will be rather busy, (as Im sure many of you exfsae guys can attest to :lol: )

And finally the motor… Cant forget about that one… My goal is to continue looking for one waiting for a good price and complete setup over the summer while doing HPDE’s on the eta motor.

Anyway I wish you guys luck with your cars this season, hopefully I can make it to one or two races to check it out, and maybe I’ll see some of you at HPDE’s!