Long Pedal

Since I started racing my car, and honestly when it was a street car it has had the same pedal feel.

Until recently when I purchased another E30 as a street car I noticed how different the feel was in my '87is.

the 89, as well as my brothers 91 have a short pedal stroke with a nice firm feeling as you build pressure. My 87 has a long stroke, but the same firm feeling, however its towards the very end of the pedal range, and almost into the stop/firewall.

The difference when bleeding the brakes (non-assist) to power on assisted braking is dramatic. So much so that another E30 driver felt something was wrong with the brakes.

I guess I have just grown accustomed to this as Ive had the car for 12 years now and its never changed.

I have noticed a couple times recently where I’ve needed to pump the brakes to build up pressure after sitting, however I never paid attention to if I had serviced pads etc during the down time.

I am not losing fluid.

Any ideas? M/C? Booster? both are pretty pricey items and unless used…

Needing to pump up the brakes to get pressure is classic MC. However if this only occurs when the car has been sitting a while, I’d be of a mind to just let it go. If it occurs when you are driving, that would be my trigger to replace the MC.

Another possibility is a tiny leak somewhere else in the system. It’s not a strong possibility, but might as well be checked before replacing the MC. Look around for some wetness around the calipers.

Its never done it while driving - including longer Enduros.

Like I said I’ve never paid attention to if I had to pump the brakes only after doing brake service. (i.e. do pads, or service pins 3 weeks beforel loading on a trailer never pump brakes after despressing pistons for service)

I notice no change in M/C res. level and I always give my calipers a spray of brake clean after bleeding. I can’t see any wetness throughout the system.

I rebuild my calipers every off-season.

I’ve never serviced the M/C or booster.