Lexan door windows

My window motors have been fubared for a while so I’ve finally ripped the SOBs out. You guys with Lexan/plastic removable door windows…give me some advice pls.

What thickness of Lexan works best, thick or thin? I saw two thicknesses at Home Depot, ~.09" and ~.2". The .2" stiff is about the thickness of the window glass that was removed, and is also kinda pricey. Can I do this with the thin Lexan or do I need to suck it up and buy a couple $40 sheets of the thick stuff? The thin Lexan seems pretty flimsy so I’m concerned about it staying in place on the freeway and being sufficient deterrent to the thugs that roam the area at night.

What about instead of using Lexan, just putting the window glass back in. Maybe after taking off the aluminum mount points at it’s base. It seems like there wouldn’t be a helova lot of difference between the thick Lexan and the window glass itself in terms of how well it fit in the window frame slots, so if thick Lexan is better then thin, why not just do some kind of removable glass idea.

Thoughts?

I have nascar bars with a gutted door. I’m using the glass right now and propping it in with dowel. It’s not difficult to slide in and out when the door is wide open and has been pretty stable on the 80 mile drive to and from the track. However, it is a bit of a pain storing it someplace safe at the track while it is out and I keep thinking it’s going to get broken there or slip down while driving. I’m considering Lexan so that I don’t need to worry so much about the breaking factor and it would be easier to slide down while on the road to get some air flow. Plus it would be easier to secure with something more than a stick. If I do go Lexan, it’s going to be the thicker size because I want a bit more deterrent to keep people out of the car - probably getting my lock fixed would help too :wink: By the way, the aluminum mounts are still on my glass and it hasn’t been any issue with them.

You could take the doors off of an old E with hand cranks.

you can just take the manual cranks off an old 318, e or euro car…no need to change the door…

The thick Lexan is very close to the thickness of the window glass. Thus it seals well. With NASCAR bars, you can’t have the window regulators. So I used the thick Lexan as removable windows.

In this case, retrofitting cranks is an option. but removing the glass and regulators take high weight off.

i have what i assume is the thin lexan for my door windows, it’s pretty flexible but as long as you cut it the right size i don’t think it would come out in anything short of a hurricane. certainly mine have never come loose after several long hauls, and they leak very little water if any.