Let's talk DAQ systems (Traqmate, AIM MXL Pista)

So winter is here and I’m finally getting my 325 shipped out to Indy where I’m now living and have the entire winter to finally get it ready for track use. Only a few small things stand in the way and one of them is getting a decent system of gauges set up so I can see what oil pressure/temp and water pressure/temp are doing.

However, instead of just spending a bunch of money on gauges and then going to a race DAQ later on, I’ve decided to just wire in some sort of race DAQ system and be done. However, I’d like to get some input from the community on what they’ve done and what works best.

Here’s the two that I’ve been looking at so far.

The Traqmate TraqDash Complete (http://store.traqmate.com/Traqmate-TraqDash-Complete-p/930004.htm) is what I’m leaning towards now since it’s pretty cheap (~$1500) although it seems like it’s kind of limited in terms of sensor inputs/warning functions. I could always rig up something up with my Arduino Uno microcontroller that would input sensor data and then rig up some LEDs and alarms.

The other one I was looking at was the AIM MXL Pista (http://www.aimsports.com/products/mxl-pista/index.html). It’s a little pricier but seems to be more versatile in terms of what it can do. With this setup I’d just wire everything into the six warning inputs and then it’ll light up an LED and make some sort of sound when something goes wrong.

What do you guys think?

Thanks.

http://www.hrpworld.com/index.cfm?tpc=Racepak-IQ3-Logger-Dash&form_prod_id=5801&action=product

The Traqdash doesn’t look to bad. Prices have gone up from racepak and down from traqmate. The AIM looks like a horrible deal. GPS is optional how is that acceptable and 8mb of built in memory wow was that designed in the 80’s. What versatility does it have. You must know more about it than they’re website is telling me. The traqdaah has bright colors and probably the best software of anything but I think the IQ3 hardware is the best.

I had a junk dash and knew I wanted a logger eventually, so 1300 for the IQ3 was a no brainer. Now it’s 1500 but still a good deal. It says it comes with a 512mb micro sd but mine had a 2gig in the box, so that probably what you’ll get. It gets the tach sensor right from the main harness and using the USM can use any sensor. Without buying anything extra you will be logging tach, gps speed, gps accel in all directions, gps altitude, 3 axis g-force from accelerometers, gear position, # of satelites connected, logger temp, predicted lap time and lap time. a USM is 180 and allows you to add four sensors of any kind. You can add multiple USM modules or plug and play v-net sensors. It logs 32 channels total but I’m not sure how many you can add. I think you can add 28 external sensors. It has 12v and 5v outputs for each of those channels can use frame grounded resistance sensors by installing a resistor and entering the resistance value into the included software. I am using the factory fuel sensor, water temp sensor and a vdo op sensor in my USM now. They sell many plug and play sensors. Expect to pay an extra 150 per sensor for the v-net sensors, but you can buy ready to go ride height, IR tire temp, steering angle, throttle position, brake pressure, EGT, O2 and more. They aren’t cheap though. The dash is cheap so just buy USMs and do it yourself.

Forgot my video. http://www.streetfire.net/video/autobahnsouth5mov_2333671.htm.

You have to buy traqvision software to make the video for another 150. If you want it to display other channels on the video you have to email them so they can set it up I guess. The video is from the morning after I got it working. I hadn’t set up the predictive lap time and only had it displaying water temp, op, and fuel level on the bottom instead of lap times and redundant rpm. On the dash I had it displaying whatever I wanted and you can set up 4 displays with different channels to cycle through.

Racepak G2X.
Great piece of kit, very reliable and easy to add any sensor you can think of.

As with any Data Logger, it’s how you interpret the data itself that is most important. For just lap times and youtube videos, they will all suffice. For improving your driving/car setup, I find the Racepak to be the best.

just spotted that on ebay from a bimmerforums link:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/250955980173?ru=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%3A80%2Fsch%2Fi.html%3F_from%3DR40%26_trksid%3Dp5197.m570.l1313%26_nkw%3D250955980173%26_sacat%3DSee-All-Categories%26_fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

I’m using the TraqMate with the Traqdash display. I’ve been using this setup for a while now. I upgraded to the new display about 6 months ago. It’s been great.

Both systems are great packages and have great features. The display on the Traqmate is top notch and feature packed. The Racepak systems allow for extra data logging.

The main motivator for my decision to go with the Traqmate was friends use of it. Having the same system allows folks to share and compare data files. If this is important to you, then consider that. Otherwise, go with the features/price point you like the best.

[quote=“TrackRat” post=61924]The main motivator for my decision to go with the Traqmate was friends use of it. Having the same system allows folks to share and compare data files.[/quote]This. If you are concerned about plotting the temperature and pressure of every fluid in the car, the atmosphere, and the driver’s body, there are better choices. If you want to have an easy-to-use tool to see where you can drop tenths from your lap time, TraqMate is the thing. And the Dash upgrade is quite nice, too.

Disclaimer: Glenn Stephens, the TraqMate guy, is a friend of mine now (but I’ve been using his products since before I met him several years ago).

I have a Traqmate and have a lot of sensors connected to it. That being said, if I wanted a dash substitute I wouldn’t go with Traqmate. I don’t have the new TM “TrackDash” but my impression is that it complements the dash, not substitutes for it. If you want your logger to be able to provide lots of gauge type info, get a logger that is a real dash substitute like turbo is describing. Jim Levie needs to weigh in on this also.

The primary charm of the TM is that lots of us own one and that makes it easy to share data.

I think there is a TM system for sale on Bfc too :wink:

There are usually some TMs for sale on the NASA forums as well.

I have an IQ3 in my car and am very satisfied with it. My goals when shopping for a a DAQ/dash were; programmable shift lights, smart warning lights, GPS track mapping, and a generous number of data input channels. The IQ3 met all those requirements for a lessor price than other products.

I currently get engine data via VDO sensors connecting to a USM. That works and is the inexpensive path. The data inputs I have now are oil pressure, engine temperature, fuel level, and a cooling system pressure switch. I’m considering moving some of those (oil pressure, and engine temperature) to V-Net modules for simplicity and to free up USM channels. I like to have at least one free USM channel available diagnostic work. I’d also like to add a wide band V-Net O2 sensor and a fuel pressure sensor.

The only data channels I display on the dash are fuel, oil pressure, and temperature. I have a warning light set to come on if the oil pressure is less than 20psi when the engine is below 2000rpm and to come on if the pressure is below 30psi when the engine is above 3000rpm. A warning light comes on if the engine is above 140F and the cooling system pressure switch (4psi) triggers and a light comes on if the engine temperature exceeds 225F. With those warnings I have no need to look at gauges. If there are no warning lights, just drive.

If there is a disadvantage to an IQ3 over a TM it would be that the data files are incompatible, so you can’t directly compare car data. But I have found it to be more useful to just have a faster driver take the car out and run some hot laps. Since that data comes from my car I know that setup or engine issues aren’t a factor and that I can learn to do what the faster driver did.

I have, on occasion, used a USM channel to log data from various things when searching for the cause of misbehavior of the engine management system. That can be a handy thing to be able to do.

[quote=“TrackRat” post=61924]I’m using the TraqMate with the Traqdash display. I’ve been using this setup for a while now. I upgraded to the new display about 6 months ago. It’s been great.

Both systems are great packages and have great features. The display on the Traqmate is top notch and feature packed. The Racepak systems allow for extra data logging.

The main motivator for my decision to go with the Traqmate was friends use of it. Having the same system allows folks to share and compare data files. If this is important to you, then consider that. Otherwise, go with the features/price point you like the best.[/quote]

My scenario and experience is the same as TRat, love the new dash!

I also have a Chase Cam digital recorder w/GForce, bullet cam, mounting plate and cables for sale.

PM me an offer if interested!

Thanks for the input everyone.

What I meant when I said the AIM MXL Pista was more versatile was that it was a complete dash system while the Traqmate system seems to be limited to just GPS based DAQ stuff and RPM-based shift lights.

Right now the iQ3 looks like it’s the best although I like the idea of being able to share my data with other people. If I went the Traqmate road then I could do a lot of the additional DAQ stuff (oil temps, pressures, water temps, pressures, etc.) by just writing a code for my Arduino Uno microcontroller to log the data, light up some lights and make a noise when one of the values was critical, and display a warning message on an LCD screen.

Hmmmm…

You can get the Traqdata for the Traqmate and log a couple of additional channels and still control your video.

Forgot to mention it earlier, but I have the ChaseCam and PDR integrated on mine so it sync’s the video and data - pretty common feature though.

Could you talk in a little more specific detail about how you might use an Arduino Uno for data logging etc.

It’s about the simplest thing you can do with an Arduino Uno. Connect sensors to the inputs and write a code to send the values to an SD card. I’ve been putzing around with using an Uno to run auxiliary control systems for my Integra which is turbocharged. It also wouldn’t be that hard to write up the RPM signal and have it illuminate a bunch of LEDs as I get close to the shift point.

[quote=“jlevie” post=61940]I have an IQ3 in my car and am very satisfied with it. My goals when shopping for a a DAQ/dash were; programmable shift lights, smart warning lights, GPS track mapping, and a generous number of data input channels. The IQ3 met all those requirements for a lessor price than other products.

I currently get engine data via VDO sensors connecting to a USM. That works and is the inexpensive path. The data inputs I have now are oil pressure, engine temperature, fuel level, and a cooling system pressure switch. I’m considering moving some of those (oil pressure, and engine temperature) to V-Net modules for simplicity and to free up USM channels. I like to have at least one free USM channel available diagnostic work. I’d also like to add a wide band V-Net O2 sensor and a fuel pressure sensor.

The only data channels I display on the dash are fuel, oil pressure, and temperature. I have a warning light set to come on if the oil pressure is less than 20psi when the engine is below 2000rpm and to come on if the pressure is below 30psi when the engine is above 3000rpm. A warning light comes on if the engine is above 140F and the cooling system pressure switch (4psi) triggers and a light comes on if the engine temperature exceeds 225F. With those warnings I have no need to look at gauges. If there are no warning lights, just drive.

If there is a disadvantage to an IQ3 over a TM it would be that the data files are incompatible, so you can’t directly compare car data. But I have found it to be more useful to just have a faster driver take the car out and run some hot laps. Since that data comes from my car I know that setup or engine issues aren’t a factor and that I can learn to do what the faster driver did.

I have, on occasion, used a USM channel to log data from various things when searching for the cause of misbehavior of the engine management system. That can be a handy thing to be able to do.[/quote]

You’re saying you’re running the pressure switch through the iq3? It’s a switch how hard could it be to hook it up directly to a warning light?

I could have hooked the pressure switch directly to a warning light, but then I’d have had a nuisance warning from the light until the engine warmed up and cooling system pressure rose. By running that input through the IQ3 I can use conditional logic to ignore the switch until the engine is warm enough for there to be pressure in the cooling system.