Legal engine mounts

New to the forums, just picked up a 87 325is with he intent of building a track car and eventually a spec E30 racer, I was reading through the rules and just wanted some clarification on engine mounts it says any non-solid mount is legal, so Obviously the IE urethane-mounts are OK, but I wanted clarification on the Turner Alum-Hd mounts. Technically the the aluminum case is solid, but the inside is a HD rubber mount from what I read. So would this be considered a solid mount by virtue of the aluminum case or does the non solid core make it ok? Thanks for the help, I just want to know what’s ok before I go and buy mounts for the car

It’s good to have you here.

Regarding the mounts, we want our racers to use upgraded mounts, for durablility, but also want some flex to keep things from vibrating loose and/or breaking. Go with urethane mounts for this purpose.

As to the alum cased rubber mounts, if they don’t allow any flex and are doing the job of solid mounts, they will be illegal.

Carter

Thanks carter that was my interpretation of that rule, I just wanted to verify before buying

make sure they are the same height as the stock ones also.
cheers,
bruce

I bought the AKG polyU mounts as a kit. Both Engine and Trans mounts for $88 shipped! They arrived next day. Ireland mounts were $175 shipped.

excuse my ignorance, but where can you pick up AGK mounts (did a quick google search and all I found was microphone equipment :pinch: )

http://www.akgmotorsport.com/home.html

Vorshlag makes Polyurethane and Nylon mounts for the E30-6 cylinder that should also be legal (metal content not increased).

We have a number of other SpecE30 parts available. Haven’t really been pushing them yet but after reading a number of posts here, we might need to. :slight_smile:

Terry,

Your stuff looks good! I’m sure the community would welcome some alternatives with parts suppliers. While I have had excellent luck, from some of the stories around, others have not.

One thing to consider - please read up on this board and the rules to the left on the ongoing saga of camber plates. I see you offer them - please let us know if you believe yours would pass muster on legality. There has been some issues with other plates. From the picture on your site it difficult to tell.

Thanks!

http://spece30.com/component/option,com_mamboboard/Itemid,/func,view/catid,10/id,11654/#11654
(vmwerks sells the vorschlag plates)
unfortunately (they are cool!), the hangup is with the modified spring perch
bruce

jblack wrote:

[quote]Terry,

Your stuff looks good! I’m sure the community would welcome some alternatives with parts suppliers. While I have had excellent luck, from some of the stories around, others have not.

One thing to consider - please read up on this board and the rules to the left on the ongoing saga of camber plates. I see you offer them - please let us know if you believe yours would pass muster on legality. There has been some issues with other plates. From the picture on your site it difficult to tell.

Thanks![/quote]

I have been looking to purchase the same set. What is your verdict on the AKG mounts? And are they using metric?

the AKG mounts are fine (why did you think there was a controversy on those?)
Not sure about the hardware being metric or not.
bruce

Wasn’t really thinking controversy, I was sure they were legal. I was looking more for a reference from David who purchased the AKG mounts, how they went in, how they feel on the car etc. . . .

And as far as the metric question. Sasha had a post regarding the IE motor mounts they purchased that were standard not metric threads and now they have to carry additional sockets/wrenches to fit.

Hope that explains.

ahhh, I must have seen the title "legal engine mounts" and then "what is your verdict …" and thought you were thinking they were illegal