Last Question (for now)! - Radiator Overflow

As best as I can tell, the only thing I need to do on my car before I leave for CMP is fit a catch tank for the radiator overflow. I was going to run the overflow into the windshield washer fluid reservoir but I can’t find any tubing locally that matches the overflow tubing. A while back I think I heard someone say they had used a coke can for an overflow tank. I rigged up a can and zipped tied it in and it seems pretty secure. However, after reviewing the CCR’s, it looks like I need a 1 liter tank. To save me reinventing the wheel, how have other people done this?

Thanks!

Andy

24oz colt 45 can.

turbo329is wrote:

Brilliant! Although I have fond college memories (well, blackouts actually) of King Cobra. I guess I’ll be paying a visit to my local gas station.

I bought some fuel hose and slipped it over the coolant res nipple and drilled a hole in the cap of the windshield washer tank to stuff the other end of the hose into. I’ve got an '87 so it was a pretty short run.

OriginalSterm wrote:

Mine’s an '89 so I have to run it to the other side. I do have some irrigation tube than I could rig up, but I’m not sure if it would pass muster. I’d have to use a connector and duct tape.

Parts stores sell replacement reservoirs that are generic and look easy to mount if you could find a spot in the engine bay. Might be worth a look too…

When my logbook was issued, the inspector told me I needed to change out the Sprite can I had used with something that wouldn’t allow fluid to easily splash out. What I have now is a Gatorade bottle with a hole that I drilled in the cap just large enough for the hose to pass through.

A Gatorade bottle is nice but to do it right, you need a container which will not only hold the liquid but to be able to monitor the temperature, pressure and the overflow condition and to be able to report back to the cockpit.

Here is an example which was done correctly.

csrow wrote:

[quote]A Gatorade bottle is nice but to do it right, you need a container which will not only hold the liquid but to be able to monitor the temperature, pressure and the overflow condition and to be able to report back to the cockpit.

Here is an example which was done correctly.

[/quote]

That picture looks like a helmet cooler I’m building.