Key ignition issue...

Helping my racin buddy out here…

1990 325i 215k

The ignition key turns, but nothing (lights or engine start) in positions I, II & III

If you turn/try multiple times, it will finally “engage” and start. I read there might be a broken pin??? or is it just a worn out cylinder???

Found cylinder removal here… http://www.e30zone.net/e30zonewiki/index.php/Removing_Ignition_Lock

Any suggestions to identify the issue or check list?

Thanks for your replies!!!

Sounds like the ignition switch to me. I recently fought a very similar issue with my daily.

If you take the key cylinder out, per the link, will it be obvious?

If the pin on the cylinder is broken, it will be obvious one the cylinder is out. But since ti works occasionally I’m more inclined to suspect the ignition switch or the wiring under the column.

So I had an intermittent electrical issues for a while; sometimes the brake lights would not work and the horn and the wipers…several systems and I would cycle the ignition a few times and then the systems would come back on. Like what you are describing.

Turns out it was the ignition switch (not the key cylinder). The switch itself sits on the opposite side of the steering column from the key cylinder and is made of plastic. My researched showed they get brittle and break over time. Replaced the switch and all the intermittent problems went away.

I don’t think there is anything electrical wise in the key cylinder and as long as the key cycles through the different positions I would not open it up. your problem is on the other side. Kind of an expensive switch though…

There are two types one for air bag cars one for non-air bag cars. Not really sure how to tell what your car was if the air bag was removed by a PO. I guessed on mine and it worked; could be that they are interchangeable.

We’ll check it out… thanks!!!