Issues w/ "rebuilt" ATE calipers from Turner

I posted this in another thread, but I feel it deserves its own.

I recently (~3 months ago) bought a set of front ATE calipers (w/ brackets) from Turner Motorsport. I have a couple serious complaints about whoever is doing the actual rebuilding.

My first issue was that one of the calipers was rebuilt with the wrong height piston! I had brand new Hawk pads to go along with the calipers and was finding it impossible to fit the caliper and pads back on the rotor disk. I got very frustrated and ended up disassembling both calipers only to discover that one of the pistons was 3/16" taller than the other prohibiting installation of my new pads. Luckily, I had a few old calipers with decent pistons in them so I was able to put the correct size piston in.

My second issue is with the bleed screws. I was noticing slight build up of brake fluid on the bottom of my calipers even before I was out on the track. I knew they were snugged up and the pistons seals and lines were not leaking. I did some more investigating with my spare ATE and Girlings and discovered that ATE and Girlings have different bleed screws! The tapered portion that seals with the inside of the caliper has a slightly different taper/angle. Check for yourselves! Of course my ATE calipers from Turner came with Girling bleed screws and this is why I was getting fluid leak/build up on the bottom of my calipers. I installed the correct bleed screws and it seems to have only helped, not fixed, the leak. I’m concerned that the Girling bleed screws ate into the caliper and scored the mating surface prohibiting a proper seal with the ATE bleed screws.

Has anyone else had similar or other issues with these calipers from Turner?

I have a front set of calipers from Turner w/ no issue. I guess the chump that built yours was baked. Sorry man! Turner is good people, call or shoot them an email and they’ll set you straight.

You realize Turner is not actually doing the rebuilding, right?
The issue is with the reman company.

[quote=“jlucas” post=75724]You realize Turner is not actually doing the rebuilding, right?
The issue is with the reman company.[/quote]

That’s my understanding as well.

A useful post but if you haven’t contacted the merchant who sold them and seen if they will make it right, then it seems you are trashing their name wo giving them the chance to be standup about it.

I guess I could have given a few more details. I am aware that they are sourcing these calipers from a 3rd party rebuilder. I did follow-up via email and phone with Turner a couple months back and let them know the problems I discovered. As far as anything being done about it, I have no idea. I don’t have any issues with Turner. I have purchased from them many times with satisfaction and will likely continue to do so. I’m mainly curious if anyone else has had similar issues or if my experience was an anomaly. It would seem these ATEs are in limited supply as they are always on backorder. Maybe the rebuilder is trying to meet demand and is running low on the correct parts. Or maybe it’s just carelessness. Either way, the main point of the post is to make the group aware of what I experienced and to remind everyone to inspect these things very carefully as they are kind of important!

I usually have good luck with A-1 Cardone. Getting reman parts from anywhere but rockauto.com is ill advised. They have a dozen rebuilders to chose from.