Is my kill switch working right?

I don’t mess with lectrics much and have never installed a switch myself. When the switch is in the off position, the engine will turn over but won’t fire. I assume that means the fuel is cut, but should it be turning over at all?

No it shouldn’t do anything when its off. The kill switch should cut off both the the main battery cable and the wire from the alternator to the battery seperately.

That’s what I thought. Time to start digging in to see where the wires are going.

There’s some good old threads on the how’s and why’s of kill switch wiring. We hashed this out in gory detail 3-4yrs ago.

Last night I decided that I never was convinced that the 2nd wire from the batt was necessary. So I cut deleted the 2nd wire from the battery and from the kill switch. IIRC the purpose of the 2nd wire was to provide optimum V to the DME when starting in cold weather. The 2nd wire wouldn’t be affected by V drop across the big wire caused by the starter’s current load.

Yah, I saw all the threads about wiring diagrams. No discussion about what it needed to do to actually be legal. Hoped maybe there was some funky rule that allowed it to just cut fuel.

Hmmm. Let’s see who issued a logbook on this . . .

[quote=“cosm3os” post=61824]Yah, I saw all the threads about wiring diagrams. No discussion about what it needed to do to actually be legal. Hoped maybe there was some funky rule that allowed it to just cut fuel.

Hmmm. Let’s see who issued a logbook on this . . .[/quote]
The test is to flip the kill switch and if it kills the motor you’re good. That being said, it’d be a lot safer if the kill switch killed ALL power.

You never know when you might smack into a wall. Chortle.

I knew that was the test, just wasn’t sure there was more than one way to accomplish anti-combustion. I’ll look at it anyway.

That is definitely not correct. When the kill switch is off there should be no power to anything in the car.

I knew that was the check, wasn’t positive there was over way to accomplish anti-combustion. I’ll look at it anyway.

Many ways to accomplish anti-combustion and at least a handful to do it electrically with a kill switch. To Ranger’s point the spirit of the rules is (AIIT) to remove potential spark and fuel sources in the event of a crash. The closer to the battery you can remove all power, the better you do this.

definitely a spam.
Take kyles post and translate it. Then translate it back and you get the wiger post.

It could be a genuine post but badly translated and that is doubtful.