Interior questions

Found some threads on this, but didn’t seem to have anything definitive.

Blower

I’m stripping the interior in preparation for the cage and just want to make sure I’ve got all the legal things removed. Is it safe to say that the blower falls under the “air conditioning removal” rule and, as such, is legal to remove? I’ve already pulled it out, so I’m hoping the answer is yes. :slight_smile:

It also means I have a large hole in the center of the cabin. It doesn’t technically go into the firewall because of the firewall cover, but it goes out, unfiltered, to the 2 vents next to the windshield. Is it common to leave this open this way? Any concerns about getting water in the cabin when it rains?

Heater hoses

Also, regarding this – http://www.akgmotorsport.com/catalog/catalog.php?item=126 – is it asking for trouble trying to install this without removing the head/engine? I’m trying to find an easy way to block the hoses going through the firewall as they, of course, now don’t go to anything. That kit seems like the easy/elegant option. What’s a good option 2 that doesn’t require removing the head/engine?

Headlight switch

Didn’t see anything specific about this in the rules, but maybe I didn’t have the right wording. Can I move the headlight switch? I’m trying to have all my switches in the center panel (not even sure the wiring will reach, but that’s a separate question). Can this switch be modified/moved?

Thanks,

Som

Do what you want with HVAC and the light switch.

Removing the port on the back of the head is do-able with the head installed. Just kinda have to lay on the engine to do it.

I think that those vents have drains and are therefore not a big source of water getting into cabin.

I just went through this.

I wound up sealing the bulkhead because it was easy enough to do, so why not. A 9x18 piece of steel trimmed to fit did the job nicely:

As for the hoses, what was suggested to me in another thread was to just plug the hose coming from the back of the head. This was easy to do with the engine still in place. I used a 1" PEX plug, ordered online from Home Depot. I figure this will do until I have a reason to pull the head, at which point I’ll install the block off plate.

Thanks for the feedback. Just ordered the AKG kit which should get overnighted to me along with the bottom bushings.

Hopefully I can manage to get to the back of the head.

I only glanced at it last night, but I thought there was a T-section coming off one of the hoses… I have to look more tonight, but is the plumbing simply:

Hose 1: Firewall -> T-stat housing
Hose 2: Firewall -> Back of head

?

Oh, and dig the sealing job. Looks clean. :slight_smile:

Som

Would it not be beneficial to keep the defroster in case it rains? I am still working on joining the series, and I have yet to pull my dash, but keeping the heater core can have more advantages than disadvantages. The car is probably already underweight.

Some do keep the defroster operational for that reason. Most don’t tho. You have to balance the desire to reduce failure points with it’s utility as a defroster. There’s other ways to keep your windshield fog free w/o adding all that plumbing to your engine’s cooling system.

I have a 12V hair dryer that I keep in the trailer. I can flex tie it to the cage such that it blows across the windshield in 60secs. The wiring is already in place. Lot of other possible ways too.

Yeah, what Ranger said. For me personally it was worth it to reduce the clutter and potential failure points. I’ve heard more than one story about getting hot water dumped all over your foot when it fails.

The 12V hair dryer isn’t a bad idea. And if you’re willing to spend a few bucks, Bimmerworld has a trick solution that puts the same concept as the rear defrost wires on your windshield:

http://store.bimmerworld.com/bimmerworld-front-windshield-defroster-kit-p2043.aspx

Julian, that’s a great find from Bimmerworld!!! Has anyone installed this front defroster system?

I also weigh 230, so I might have a little more room to strip stuff out to get to weight than most. :slight_smile:

I took it all out to minimize possible failure points. Too many “hot coolant on my legs” stories. Okay, maybe I only read one or two of those stories, but that was “too many”. :slight_smile:

Som

I saw that on BW’s site. Love the idea, but don’t like the idea that I could see lines across my windshield – however thin as they may be. I’d have to check them out in person before considering it.

Interesting, something to keep in mind when I pull it apart this winter to cage it. Thanks for the info guys.

Assuming you will race on the west coast… rain happens rarely.

I can count on one hand how many races we have done in the wet in SoCal in the last 9 years.

True… Running Nor Cal, but it’s not much worse.

Will still need the just-in-case option. Gonna have to look for a 12V clip-on blower. :slight_smile: Or maybe mount a windshield wiper blade to the inside of the windshield! Or maybe a passenger seat for someone to hold a squeegee on a long stick and clean the windshield every few seconds. Could you argue that since the person sitting in the right seat is a functional part of the car that they’re not “just a passenger”? :slight_smile:

1.3. …every part of the car must remain as it came from the factory.

Can’t be any ol’ passenger you might find on the Internet. Rules are pretty unambiguous that any passenger would have to be a German girl.

A hot German girl.

I have the Bimmerworld “rear” defroster on my windshield.
I like it a lot. Works well.
The only time I notice the lines is when I try to.
They aren’t noticeable.