Interesting issue at NCM

Out of 7 cars, 3 (including mine) had this problem. It was damn hot and our race on Saturday was at 3:00ish. During the race, the fuel tank vent tube spit fuel out onto the firewall and into the footwell. It wasn’t alot but it was enough and it certainly was noticable. I have a lawn mower filter on the end of mine and there was fuel in the resevoir part. On another car, the foam filter he was using was saturated. I ran a full tank but i don’t know about the others. This is the first time that has happened but it also was scorching hot. Comments? Ideas?

That should not ever happen if the hoses associated with the overflow/expansion tank in the right read fender well are intact. That tank holds close to a quart and should be able to handle the expansion of a full tank on a hot day.

I have checked that thing like 10 times and I can’t find that there is anything wrong with it and even inhaled plenty of fumes trying to see if the lines are clear. I will check it again tho; maybe a hose is kinked or something. Great to see your car at RA by he way. Wish you were in it!

The only way I could see fuel coming from the evap vent line of the overflow tank is working, would be from sloshing in turns. You might consider, if this happens again, installing a catch tank of say a pint capacity with the evap vent line running in the bottom and the filter on top. Mount the tank as high as possible so that any fuel that gets into the catch tank will drain back into the fuel tank.

It was a sad day for me when I found out that for medical reasons I could never again have a race license. It was an even sadder day to see the car leave. But I think it found a good home.