installing new senders

My brother says the best place for the op sender is in place of the oem op switch under the oil filter. What is the thread for the op switch. I need to order an adapter for my op sensor and I don’t want to drain my oil to pull the old switch.

You want to remote a sensor to that port with a couple feet of hose. Pressure sensors won’t take the vibration and heat of the engine well.

IIRC correctly, the port is 12X1.5. You want to adapt it to 1/8NPT. There’s a number of adapters available that will do it.

http://www.gress.org/Home/Cars/TrackTales/DIY/OilingSystem%20Improvements/OilingPlan.htm

You won’t have to dump your oil to swap it out.

Unfortunately army hydraulics guys know less than I do about AN threads, and aeroquip is half as good as earl’s. I have 1/8-27 threads on my senders which I believe is actually the same as 1/8-npt. My guess is that the taper of -2 AN is between straight and npt. I have an unlimited supply of the aeroquip AN fittings. Can I just get AN tap and run it through a straight thread.

My answer is probably in Engineer to Win but I can’t be bothered to read it right now.

1/8-27 is 1/8NPT.

AN fittings are nice because they are more tolerant of multiple removals and re-installs, but that doesn’t mean you should play around rethreading things. Go get the 12mm to 1/8NPT adapter. Then if you want to use AN, get an 1/8NPT to -2 AN adapter. Then put AN fittings on both ends of your hose.

You can save a lot of $$ going with standard steel and brass hydraulic fittings instead of aircraft aluminum ones. In the hydraulic world, AN is called JIC.

Don’t stop at a pressure sensor, put in a pressure switch too.

A couple more issues worth mentioning. -2AN is pretty small. Might be hard to find adapters. -4 is a fair amount bigger but hose, hose ends, and adapters are common.

In order to put both a sensor and a switch at the end of your hose you will need a 1/8NPT manifold of sorts. These are usually made of brass and in your case will need 3 female 1/8NPT ports. So the whole thing will look like this…

Block>12mm to NPT>NPT to AN>AN barb>Hose>AN barb>AN to NPT>NPT manifold.

The barbs would be hose-ends if you got the hose professionally made, which wouldn’t be a bad idea.

A 150lb box of high pressure, stainless braided AN lines with kevlar chafe sleeves fell off a truck today. Manufactured -4 to -18 assorted lengths with crimpted on ends. B) All I need now are some adapters and it looks like my oil cooler is going to get some new lines also.