Installed Spec E30 Exhaust Pictures Needed

Hi All,

I’m trying to get my Spec Exhaust installed this weekend. There are a couple of points Im not clear on.

1. Mounting points on the muffler - The exhaust came with two brackets welded onto the muffler, but they don’t seem to line up well with any of the hanger locations at the rear of the car.

2. Not being able to confidently route the exhaust from the back of the car to the down pipe leaves me wondering were to cut the down pipe for mating to the exhaust. Mine did not come with the bracket welded on as shown in the GRM write up, so I’m lacking that reference point.

3. I’m not too sure of the overall routing. I think it passes from the muffler near the diff and under the half shaft to the center of the car, under the drive shaft. Will the middle pipe require any trimming to fit in?

Pictures of an installed system would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

KB

Oh yeah, I’m installing it into an '86 chassis.

I just put the system into my 91. I cut the down pipe about an inch before the cross over piece. Test fitted the system with out clamping all the connections. I also found that the brackets on the muffler did not line up with the hangers. I cut the pieces off and rewelded them (It’s nice to have a welder). I also had a small bend put into the mid pipe where it goes under the rear cross member and added a front mounting tab. There is a U-tube video of the system on a car. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3idnabKAwo

Thanks Steffen! I think I’m good to go. I just got done removing the down pipe and had lined up the welds of the spec exhaust dual collector with the welds of the down pipe crossover - pretty much what you said.

I got a buddy with a welder, so once I get things lined up and sorted out we’ll weld it up. Looks like I’ll have to relocate/add some hangers too.

So I got everything hanging under the car. It looks like in addition to having to relocate one of the muffler hangers, I have a concern about the mid pipe banging on the rear subframe.

I’m a little reserved about putting a bend in the midpipe because the need is so close to the pipe’s end.

All I’ve ever seen exhausts do is hang. Is there some way to securely space it from the rear subframe with out creating a heat issue?

Thanks,

KB

Mine just about touches the sub-frame. I don’t think heat will hurt the sub-frame. I did not add or relocate any hangers on mine and it’s just fine.

Mine is tight against the sub-frame and I have never had a problem. Those who are having to cut off muffler brackets, are you sure your muffler is not backwards? I started to install mine backwards and then when i turned it around everything lined up.

Michael

I am going to attempt the install this weekend. Do I need a pipe expander or will the new pipes slide on to where I cut the stock exhaust off at?

All the pipes from Paul fit very easily together. Almost too loose.

There is a flow direction on the muffler. Orientation of is important. That could possibly explain why others had to relocate hangers.

Thanks for that image. I had never seen that before. Normally you would want the further front pipe to go on the inside, but it sounds like the OEM pipes from the header go on the outside of the spec exhaust instead and you notch them so the exhaust clamp secures it.

Image was created to help others know where to cut the exhaust without having to first do a fit-up. Saves you half an hour of fussing overhead. I did leave out the step where you whack the 2.25" tube with a large chunk of wood to seat the Y.

mmarv wrote:

Yeah, I put a piece of 2x4 flat over the end and whacked it with a nonimpact hammer. :slight_smile:

I didn’t cut the notches because I was unaware it would assist with fit up. I did clean up about 1 1/2" of the cut off down pipe ends with emery cloth. I also took a 1/2" drum sander and cleaned up the insides of the mating Spec Exhaust tubes. I marked 1" from the end of the down pipe ends so I could measure how much insertion I got which was about 1/2".

I clamped the 2 1" pipes to the down pipe, welded the middle joint and clamped on the muffler.

Tried turning the muffler both ways an still had to cut off and relocate the hangers. One I had to refab because it was just too short (1" - 1 1/2" ).

Quick question: after removing the back of the original exhaust, is it best to completely remove the down pipes from the manifold and do the cutting/fit up, etc. on the garage floor then install the whole thing in the car?

RacerDan wrote:

That’s how I did mine last winter. I think it took me a total of 30mins to cut, assemble, and install the whole system.

Very simple :stuck_out_tongue:

I left my down pipe on the car. Used a sawzall to cut the down pipe and fit the rest on the car. Not too hard a job. No relocating or welding involved.

mahoneyj wrote:

I also used a sawzall to cut the down pipe on the car, and then I drove it to a shop to have the exhaust welded on since I couldn’t get the pipes and the downtubes to connect properly.

King Tut wrote:

[quote]mahoneyj wrote:

I also used a sawzall to cut the down pipe on the car, and then I drove it to a shop to have the exhaust welded on since I couldn’t get the pipes and the downtubes to connect properly.[/quote]

I bought a cheap pipe expander from Harbor Freight to get my pipes on the down pipe. Took a bit more stretch to get mine started. Then used the 2x4 with a big hammer to get it the rest of the way on.

I also bought a Harbor Freight expander, but I broke it in the first 30 minutes haha. I tried to expand the wrong pipe so it was a hopeless affair.

Carter Hunt posted this a few years ago.B)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A3idnabKAwo

What is the best way to get a hold of the Paul P (The Spec Exhaust guy). I have been leaving messages a few times this week. If anyone is near him, can someone make sure he’s alive and have him call me back.:wink:

Brad

BTM wrote:

He’s not talking to me either, but I don’t think I’m trying as hard as you are … if you do get in touch with him, can you order +1 exhaust for me? We can combine and save on shipping :slight_smile: