I need a lighter suit

I currently have a Sparco Jade Top suit. My major issue with it is that it’s like wearing a quilt, and on hot summer days it can be miserably hot to wear. I’m thinking of getting something lighter and more breathable. I do need to be cost conscious.

I’m considering the G-Force GF-545. Looks to be fairly lightweight and has the shiny outer fabric. Anybody have any experience with this suit? It can be had for around $400 and seems like a good bargain.

Any other suits I should be looking at? I can’t swing the $1600 for an X-Light, although I briefly entertained the thought of splurging on an Alpine Stars GP Tech suit that one of the vendors has on closeout for around $1000. Same vendor has a previous version of the X-Light for $800, but only in size 64, which might be a tad large.

My first suit was like wearing an oven mitt. So I did a bunch of research on high end suits and came up with a short list of workable solutions that I could not afford. Then I kept watch on ebay and CL (using SearchTempest). It took about a month but I ended up getting a $1800 suit plus gloves for $300.

Note that sizing will require some research too.

[quote=“juliancates” post=69200]I’m considering the G-Force GF-545. Looks to be fairly lightweight and has the shiny outer fabric. Anybody have any experience with this suit? It can be had for around $400 and seems like a good bargain.[/quote]I’m on my second G-Force [strike]OveGlove[/strike] GF-545. Anyone who says it is lightweight means that it is lightweight compared to actual oven mitt material.

I haven’t worn a light suit but the ones I’ve handled seem like they would breathe a hell of a lot better than my suit. Next time I buy one, I’ll sell a kidney to get the extra $800 to buy a breathable suit.

Bummer about the GF-545. Will have to start saving some pennies I guess or keep an eye out for bargains.

I also have the sparco jade. The price difference will buy you a few sets of cool shirts/pants. I bought a cool shirt this summer and I’m sure no breathable suit can compare to it.

Yeah, I run a cool shirt as well, but I still want a lighter suit.

A year or two ago I got a last season closeout from OG racing and for $900 got an X-lite and love it. Another option is:

http://www.raceimage.com/

A lighter suit was a great investment.

I have a GF-545 also… I don’t have much of a reference to compare it to, but the suit is pretty dang hot. It’s not a big deal in the car since I use a cool shirt, but it comes off quickly once I’m out of the car!

Save up. I have the GP Tech and love it. Unfortunately, I paid full price before this season. I suddenly came into more suits than I can wear. What size are you?
Sparco Technica X7 was on close out and not bad. Craig at US Race Gear in Cincinnati might have a couple. They would probably be my size (52/54, depending on brand). Give him a call if you’re of around that size.

If you’re going to replace your suit, make it worth while. I had an oven mitt for 6 years, so I feel your pain.

I have the Jade top suit as well and I feel your pain.

Just putting the idea out there:

I don’t know why, but I was always against buying a single layer suit and having to have the underwear layer. A few of my teammate on the west cost have nice light cheaper one layer suits with nice carbon-x underwear. they looked alot more comfortable than I did.

unless you free ball in your suit you have to wear something under it anyhow.

I am belt and suspenders type of guy, I wear a 2-layer suit and carbon-x underwear.

Yeah, I started off with a Sparco One suit and nomex underwear. That was still pretty hot, but I’m hotter in the Jade. One advantage of NOT doing the single-layer plus underwear approach is that I can walk around with my cool shirt on and suit tied around the waist and be pretty cool until the last minute when I have to get in the car and get strapped in. Walking around in a nomex turtleneck in August was no fun.

Anthony, I’m a bit larger, especially these days, and need something a bit bigger than 52/54. My Jade Top is “XL”.

The raceimage.com route is interesting. Aside from looking like a NASCAR wannabe, the deals are pretty good. I’d think these pros would have something fairly lightweight. The two-piece suits are also… interesting. Not sure about fire protection there vs. a 1 piece, but it gets the same rating.

So far, I haven’t seen anything compelling enough to make me switch that’s in my desired spending range. Guess it’s time to start saving.

talk with Tim at SafeQuip, they make their own suits in South Carolina. He knows the materials and the prices are great. It’s always nice to talk directly with the owner.

Anybody familiar with the “Simpson World” suit?

http://www.saferacer.com/simpson-world-3-layer-suit.html?productid=2103

OK, suit acquired. A friend got a great Black Friday deal on an OMP “One” suit. Turns out it didn’t fit perfectly, so I bought it off of him since it fit me just about right. Not the color I would have picked as a first choice, but for a little over half of what they are going for retail, I’m not going to complain.

I was amazed at the difference between this and my Sparco Jade Top suit. Just comparing the weight of holding the two suits up was an eye opener. Assuming the OMP suit breathes much better - and it would be hard to imagine it not doing so - this will be a huge improvement in hot weather.

P.S. Sparco Jade Top suit in XL is available if anybody needs one…