HP rules

so what was the decision on HP for the next event?

Have the rules changed?

Are there different rules for Nor-Cal?

What do you mean?

we have been using the same dyno at Thunderhill for the last 5 years and the shop even bought a mobile unit that produced the same #'s . then the start of this season we get a new dyno at sonoma raceway and low a behold 4 HP more for most cars causing drivers to put in 60-100 lbs of penalty weight.

my question is which dyno are they going to be pulling these numbers from?

bottom line they should be using the old mobile unit for sonoma and laguna!:evil:

Thanks for the clarification.

It would seem a bad choice to alter the rules for one region. Especially if this is where the Nationals are going to be held.

Anyone visiting from out of region would need a heads up for any class that uses dyno results for compliance.

the numbers that were mentioned (are only in discussions) by all the racers in a group meeting at our 1st event.

because of the new dyno’s HP numbers that are really in question. lets face it all dyno’s will pretty much have a different reading.

this could be a problem for all regions as we figure out this problem.

I am confused, so what if the numbers have some variance? If you read 4 over on the dyno that is at the track that day, then won’t everyone? Maybe my simple brain is missing something, but if everyone is reading the same, and has to add, then everyone will add or be DQ’ed.

Me, I am not worried, my 200K motor probably would only read double digits at best.

Agreed, you are either under or over for your HP and weight.

Since everyone knows that the Sonoma dyno will be 4hp over then add weight or find a dirty air filter.

This might be of interest. Both of the co-directors in SE region had their car dynoed at the first event of the year. If at a later event a dyno is DQing people, all we’d have to do, theoretically, is put a director car on the dyno to attempt to apply some Kentucky windage to the #'s.

You cant start making exceptions on a case by case basis. That will lead to favortism and KAOS.

Your either legal or illegal.

My car dyno’d at 148, IIRC. If at a SE event a guy’s hp is 10hp higher then it was 2 events ago, and we put my car on the dyno and that reads 10hp high also, I’m not going to DQ the guy. The regional director can certainly overrule me, but that’s him imposing the penalty not me. Or maybe Robert, the other co-director will see the situation differently.

I wasn’t suggesting how you guys should run your region. My intent was just to help give ideas.

[quote=“Ranger” post=76535]My car dyno’d at 148, IIRC. If at a SE event a guy’s hp is 10hp higher then it was 2 events ago, and we put my car on the dyno and that reads 10hp high also, I’m not going to DQ the guy. The regional director can certainly overrule me, but that’s him imposing the penalty not me. Or maybe Robert, the other co-director will see the situation differently.

I wasn’t suggesting how you guys should run your region. My intent was just to help give ideas.[/quote]

Buzzbomb makes a good point…you are either legal or you are not.

The problem I see in what you are suggesting is the fact that any variance in the engine has to be accounted for. Was it the first run after a rebuild? Did he change his AFM setting? Did he change his oil and go with a different type? Did he make any other adjustments to the valves? etc. All this must be considered. The problem I see is that if you do all of this, you must re-dyno the car.

In effect, people are tuning the engine to maximize the performance, I get it. To curb that, we must simply put a cap on the HP that is manageable and within the spirit of the class, which is to be a cost effective drivers’ series that discourages engine building or allows or “financial advantages.”

[quote=“Fooshe” post=76606][quote=“Ranger” post=76535]My car dyno’d at 148, IIRC. If at a SE event a guy’s hp is 10hp higher then it was 2 events ago, and we put my car on the dyno and that reads 10hp high also, I’m not going to DQ the guy. The regional director can certainly overrule me, but that’s him imposing the penalty not me. Or maybe Robert, the other co-director will see the situation differently.

I wasn’t suggesting how you guys should run your region. My intent was just to help give ideas.[/quote]

Buzzbomb makes a good point…you are either legal or you are not.

The problem I see in what you are suggesting is the fact that any variance in the engine has to be accounted for. Was it the first run after a rebuild? Did he change his AFM setting? Did he change his oil and go with a different type? Did he make any other adjustments to the valves? etc. All this must be considered. The problem I see is that if you do all of this, you must re-dyno the car.

In effect, people are tuning the engine to maximize the performance, I get it. To curb that, we must simply put a cap on the HP that is manageable and within the spirit of the class, which is to be a cost effective drivers’ series that discourages engine building or allows or “financial advantages.”[/quote]
I hear you. I’ve also read everything everyone else has written re. their concerns with the dyno rule. But I still think we’re getting over-excited about the possible problems. Sure, there’s the potential for problems, and that’s why the Director on the spot will have to make adult decisions based on the rules and on his sense of fairness. In the SE tho, no one has run afoul of the dyno rule. No one has even come particularly close to running afoul of the rule. I’m not going share anyone’s anxiety over the rule until cars start dynoing in the SE >162.9hp, and even then we’ll probably be able to figure out if the # is kosher by putting my car or Robert Patton’s car on the same dyno.

I don’t see that this is forcing anyone to go to much hassle, except for the couple of folks that are highly motivated to get their engine at the very limit of what’s allowed. And my sympathies aren’t with them. My sympathies are with the rest of the group that would prefer not to be 12+ hp down on an uber engine.

Ok, there may be an isolated case where a person didn’t really try to create an uber engine but ended up with one. But we can’t chase our tails worring about an engine shop divine miracle.

This. 10000x.