How to pull injectors?

I guess I’m going to pull mine and have them rebuilt. Do I have to pull the upper manifold, or what’s the easy way to do this?

Wow, 3time national champ and never pulled a injector.

Undo the bracket at the valve cover and intake man.
Undo the 3 bolts holding the fuel rail
Pry the injectors with the fuel rail together. They will pop right out.

[quote=“BTM” post=56229]Wow, 3time national champ and never pulled a injector.
[/quote]
Nice. Bad night last night?

Scott, There’s an electrical rail and a fuel rail. Each injector is held to the electrical rail with clip that slides out of position. Use a screwdriver to move the clip. The clips don’t come off, they just have to move. If you want to get more room to work, undo the round electrical rail connector that is under the intake manifold. That will let you remove the electrical rail.

This is a good time to do a little work on the problematic round electrical rail connector. Cut a hole in the bottom part of it’s rubber boot so water will drain out. Scrub the connectors clean of tarnish with a rifle bore brush, and put a tiny dab of conductive grease in each pin-socket.

Each injector is fastened to the fuel rail with a removable clip. Remove the clips. There are some grooves on the injector body. Take a hard look at those grooves relative to the fuel rail because when you put your injectors back in those grooves will tell you if you’ve inserted the injector far enough into the rail.

The injectors are pressed into the rail and into the intake manifold pretty hard so it takes some determined wiggling, pushing and pulling before the injectors start coming free of the manifold. Use something to pry on the intake rail such that it’s pulling on the injectors. Take care that you don’t bend the rail, and do lots of wiggling of the rail to help the injectors come free.

The tips of the injectors are easily damaged, so as the rail starts coming free, don’t bang an injector tip on anything.

When it’s time to reinstall the injectors, lube the orings with something and shove them into the fuel rail smartly. Be sure all the injectors are all the way in, fuel leaks are bad. Put the clips back in place. Since the electrical rail is behind the fuel rail, the injectors electric connectors have to orient accordingly. Put the rail and injectors in place and start working the injectors into the intake manifold. Be patient and do lots of wiggling and pressing. This part takes some tenacity.

Once the injectors are all in place, doublecheck that each electrical connector is oriented exactly backwards. Then put the electrical rail in place making sure that each injector snaps into it with a nice click. Fasten the electrical clips at each injector. Refasten the round injector connector under the intake manifold.

Jump the fuel pump relay and watch the injectors for a minute or two for any sign of leaks. Start the car and watch for leaks some more.

Jumping the fuel pump relay. I forget which relay is the FP relay, but once you figure that out, you jumper it by connecting the forward most socket to the socket nearest the driver’s fender. Might as well mark those two with a sharpy.

Consider getting new injectors instead of cleaning 170k mi. injectors. I used to use old injectors that were freshly cleaned and flowed. But last Fall I had a problem with gas getting into my oil. It orked out to a cup of gas in my oil after 8hrs of use…Probably several times that if one accounts for evaporation. By putting the injector rail on top of my engine and running the fuel pump, I could see that 2 of the injectors were leaking just barely enough to show wetness when they should have been dry.

I talked to the injector cleaning outfit and he said that the clean and flow process isn’t going to detect nor fix an injector that leaks.

My theory was that once the injectors got hot they were leaking more than the tiny amount I saw in the test. I bought all new Bosch injectors for $60 ea.

Shoot. When doing this one of the clips that hold the injector to the rail went flying and I can’t find it. Are they critical? On the Cobra and my Mustangs, there is no clip up top, they just let the bolts hold the rail down. Is it critical that I find this thing?

Probably not critical, but why risk it. PM me your address and I’ll mail you one…