Homestead-Miami Race Report

So I decided to move this to its own thread, so it wasn’t stuck in the (lame) smack talk thread;)

Thanks to all for a great weekend of fun, clean racing! I had a great time

Don - sorry your engine woes continue - keeping my fingers crossed you get this figured out with a minimum of $ and frustration.

Andy - it was really great to see you out there with us this weekend. Too bad your weekend was a lot shorter than we all expected. However, iIt sounds like you have a good idea of what’s on your “to do” list to get back out there for the next race

Here’s the quickie recap:
Saturday qualifying - we saw about 3 laps before the session was ended due to a Radical sport racer BBQ. (Too bad I didn’t bring my marshmallows…)

Saturday Sprint Race - Andy qualified right ahead of me on the grid, while Gary was stuck in the back because he left his transponder in the garage (oops! ) Unfortunately Andy ended up in the pit lane during the formation lap because his oil pressure light was glowing. Gary and I had a good time going back and forth and mixing it up with each other and a couple of the porsches. I ended up on top for this race, with Gary a few seconds behind me.

1 - Natalie Black 1:55.018
2 - Gary Nilsen 1:55.980
3 - Andrew Peterman DNS

Saturday Feature Race - More fun! Both Gary and I fired up the cool suits after realizing that it was HOT sitting on the grid for the morning race
Gary got by me early on, and I had a heck of a time trying to get back around him with as evenly matched as the cars appear to be. About half way through the race, one of the American Iron mustangs loses his engine at the entrance to turn 10 ( the high speed banked corner off the oval onto the infield) and leaves one heck of an oil trail in his wake. I was one of the lucky cars to find the oil before the flags come out and take a very fast, very exciting trip out into the infield grass and then back onto the course between 11 and 12. Thank goodness for the oil pan skid plates. Now Gary has a heck of a lead on me! I’m hauling all the ass I can carry to try to catch up until the pace car is sent out to collect the field while the infield is cleaned up. The last lap of the race is close, but Gary manages to shut the door on me and then I make my own costly goof. This race goes to Gary.

1 - Gary Nilsen 1:55.287
2 - Natalie Black 1:54.051

Sunday Sprint Race - It’s John’s turn to do battle. Gary decides to switch out the R888s for some RA1s to see how they compare, and if I remember correctly, they get the thumbs up as the lap times start to come down. Another great, clean & fun race! Just look at how close the lap times are…

1 - Gary Nilsen 1:54.620
2 - John Black 1:54.784

Sunday Feature Race - An awesome end to a great weekend! Both John and Gary have some great battles with the Porsches that share the nearby grid spots. With 3 laps to go, Gary puts down a flying lap that ends up being the class’s quickest for the weekend.

1 - Gary Nilsen 1:52.804
2 - John Black 1:54.840

Thanks again for a great time!

For more photos from the weekend, check out our website:

http://web.mac.com/natblack/Black_Site/Sunburn_Racing/Pages/2009,Apr_18-19-_Miami-Homestead_Race.html

Great to finally get out there and meet you all. I hope we can do it again in May.

Regretfully, I confirmed today that the head on my car is a 200 casting, so it is a plain “e” head, not even a super eta. From what they tell me, this means the block, intake manifold, afm etc are from an e car as well :frowning: . Funny the carfax said nothing of an engine swap. Anyway, the hunt is on for an i engine to swap into it so if you have any leads…

Anybody want to buy a nice fuel efficient BMW inline 6 with a new timing belt and water pump? Recent oil change and filter included.

Nice report! Sounds like you all are having a great time down in FL.

What is the latest with the track in Starke? Are you guys racing there this year?

I visited there just last week and got a tour.

The track is close to being ready to race. They have had sevaral car club track days and several teams have tested there so far but they have had no organized wheel to wheel races yet. They need to install the timimg loop(s), add some tire walls, and make a few adjustmensts to a few turns and it will be ready to go. It looks like we’ll get to race there in Nov. They are also planning to pave the entry drive (about 7/8 mile).

The track is different. It is an airport course on flat FL terrain and it is on the tight side. I think there will be lots of second and third gear stuff and I don’t think we’ll see the top of fourth anywhere. It is wide and crowned real well or drainage. It is much like a street course but there are only a few places where there are any walls. It should be fun.

Don