Help w/conversion

I am currently transferring running gear from an '89 is into an '87 es. I notice that the radiator from the “i” model is larger and has a different electical (thermostat?)connector (single 3 pin vs 2- 2 pin on “e”). I ASSUME that one pin on each of the “e” connectors is the ground. How can I determine if this is so so that I might modify the harness to work with the "i"radiator. I broke my “i” radiator, so I need a new one. Is this a dealer only part? I am also removing the cage from the “i” and putting it in the “e”, which requires some cutting/welding. I am told that this is ok with NASA. Does anyone know if it is also alright with SCCA/how would I find out?

Thanks,

Stuart

Stuart -

For your cage cut/re-weld question, you can find the SCCA’s GCR on line at www.scca.com. Click the “Club Racing” tab at the top, then look for “Cars & Rules” at the left.

I ditched the stock radiator and got an aluminum one from Carr Industries (a forum sponsor). I see you are from Virginia. If you plan to come south for races, you will appreciate the cooling of the aluminium rad.

I can’t help with the wiring question. Sorry!

Steve D.

Radiator is $180 new from Pelican, depending on which one you need.
http://www.pelicanparts.com/bmw/catalog/shopcart/BE30/POR_BE30_WATrad_pg1.htm#item0
Radiators are a competitive market, there should be several online suppliers that specialize in them but I would personally stick with a known brand (Behr is oem) unless you spring for the a/m performance aluminum radiator ($$$). My crusty original has worked just fine in mine and I think most competitors use the oem style rad.

Guys,

Thanks very much. I do plan to go to Roebling for some stuff, so the extra cooling makes sense. More questions:What about the electric fans in place of the oem one? Can I simply plug the “i” instrument cluster into the “e” harness & expect things to work? The last one of these we did we welded the sunroof cassette in & buckled the roof with the heat. Would an epoxy hold the thing in and keep the rain out. Your help in this matter will be rewarded by having someone else to pass at some point.

Thanks again,

Stuart