Help on Spec Exhaust install

Just got the exhaust and see that it does not have any tabs on the first two sections, just the two rubber hangar tabs on the muffler section.

GRM mentions fewer tabs, but Carters video definitely shows the mount at the transmission. Am I missing something? Or is this just the latest version?

Paul Poore is not in til June 3, don’t want to cut until I know this is how it has to go on.

Thanks in advance.

Christian

I installed mine 2 weeks ago. No tabs. We fabricated a mount to attach to the transmission housing.

We didn’t have much confidence in the pipe clamps, so we welded everything together. Welding at the forward end wasn’t easy. Fortunetly the guy who was doing it was good.

The guy who was doing it was also not me. All I did was hold things in place and crack jokes.

Paul told me a couple of weeks ago that he had stopped adding the bracket on the transmission end. I don’t remember why, but I know it was planned.

I just installed mine last night… I would agree that it seems a little flimsy with only the donut mounts on the back. I’ll probably add some straps at a couple of points throughout the system. I may even throw a little JB weld or something around the connections.

I’d think twice before welding. With the way this thing hangs under the car and it’s vulnerable to getting damaged… the ability to remove and replace sections is going to be a lot easier with the clamps.

Most of us who have installed it are using the clamps and they work fine.

Mine is hanging at the back with the rubber doughnuts and has being that was for 5 races without any issues.

Thanks, scott. It’s survivability with just rear support was my concern. I’ll just go ahead.

Thanks, guys

C.

I have prototype #1, so its slightly different the the production version. The transmission hanger is present, and helps support the front end as well as the header. I had to use a jack to bend the tailpipe up (once everthing was tightened down), then used a heavy duty hose clamp in lieu of the rubber doughnut. Its tucked up as good as it will ever be…so far so good. Your hanger is probably different, so your results may vary. Just get it as high as you can.

One other note, be sure all your clamps are turned so the bolts don’t extend below the pipe. No point hanging anything lower than you need to. Ask me how I know. :blush:

Mine came without the tab on the collector and like you I remembered seeing it on the GRM write-up. When I talked to Paul about it, he said that a lot of the cars didn’t have the bracket on the transmission for it to bolt up to, so he stopped welding it on. I think it was Patton that posted the idea of using some of that strapping used to support heating ducts that you can find at any big hardware store. Wrap that stuff around the collector and attach it to the bracket on the trans, I added some safety wire through the extra holes to tighten everything up a bit and get rid of the slack in the strapping. I haven’t driven with it yet, but from the look and feel of it, it seems as though it will offer some support.

Getting ready to install exhaust this weekend, and want to make sure I don’t need any welding, right? Just measure, measure, cut, fit, hung, done?

I might suggest pulling the oxygen sensor before hammering the collector on. I damaged mine in the process and am waiting on a replacement…

C.

install was pretty simple. Make sure you have the muffler pointed in the right direction. I ended up cutting the down pipes right before the crossover. The collector fit right on and them bolted it all up. As usual, the second one could be done in 20 minutes.

Michael