heater core coolant vent?

yesterday at vir my car developed a small coolant leak inside the car, a short vertical rubber tube between the heater core and the transmission tunnel (next to the gas pedal, open to the outside) had split and would occasionally spit small amounts coolant on my right foot. it’s obviously there by design but why would the heater core have this?

I think that allows moisture from condensate or tiny leaks to get out of the cabin so it won’t soak the carpet.

There’s enough stories re. 20yr old heater cores leaking hot water on a person’s feet that it’s worth removing.

That is the heater core and evaporator drain tube. If you have fluid coming out of it, the core is leaking.

thanks guys. so the follow up question is, if i turn the temp dial to cold does that stop coolant from circulating through the heater core? or just change the air flow?

jtower wrote:

The dial connects to a coolant valve. But I don’t know if the valve is before or after the heater core. Therefore closing the valve might not stop the leak.

Removing the core will tho .

Ranger wrote:

[quote]There’s enough stories re. 20yr old heater cores leaking hot water on a person’s feet that it’s worth removing.[/quote]…or replacing if you enjoy defrost during rain races and/or on cold mornings.

jtower wrote:

Selecting full cold on the temp dial with close the valeve, but since the valve is only on the inlet side of the heater core it could still leak.

Steve D wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

You can remove your heater core completely and just use $3 of baby oil/dish soap/shaving cream etc and no issues.

dgorman wrote:

Or, as Ranger says, a big night in Savannah. After he’s done with that, what should he do about the windshield?:laugh:

i had the luxury of having my ankle hosed by a solid stream of HOT coolant. i will miss the heat but not that problem.