Great Weekend Racing E-30 With NASA-FL

I am a NASA-FL regular, but usually run my Factory Fivc Challenge Racer in the FFC class. Given that my wife was due with our first child this weekend, on Saturday all I had was a hall pass to go watch the races at Sebring (an hour from my house) so that if the child did decide to show up on time, I could run home quickly without having to load up my entire FFC race operation, which can take two hours. But, Saturday came, I watched, and had the itch to drive.

I look up in Jim Pantas’ trailer and see his pink Spec E-30 sitting there, lonely, as he was driving his AIX Mustang. I have never even sat in anything made by BMW before (true fact) but I wanted to drive, and an arrive and drive would probably pass the wife’s appoval, so Jim and I worked a deal for me to drive the E-30 on Sunday. I clear that deal with the wife since the child is actually due on Sunday (hint: I obtained race controll’s cell phone number so she could call them if she went in labor, they would black flag my car, I’d dump the car at Pantas’ trailer and run home in my Escalade, no harm no foul), and after working that deal, I show up Sunday to find a field of 6 E-30 ready to race.

I would never have guessed that these cars were so fun to drive. Not to be offensive, but they look slow compared to my FFC or my other car, an INEX Thunder Roadster, but I have not had this much fun racing cars in a long time. The moral to the story is that i fyou have a big field of cars to race, it is going to be fun pushing anything to the limit, and the Spec E-30 was a great time.

We even got our own split start for the Sunday race, which was an absolute hoot. I qualified first and would otherwise have started from the pole but was voluntarily DQ’d when the car came up 70 pounds light (whoops) after qualifying, so I started last. The Florida E-30 regulars were kind enough to let me drive to the front and secure a win after a 45 minute race in the insane Florida summer heat.

A big thank you to everyone that participated in the race, and particularly to Jim Pantas for letting me drive the Pink Panther. You guys (and girls) have a good thing going here with the E-30 class. Keep up the good work.

-Scott McKay

^ this post makes me happy.

That is a good post…thanks. 70 lbs? Do you eat?

Scott,

It was pleasure to meet and compete with you. I also learned a few things from you. Specifically, I use the brakes too much! I used them a little less on Sunday and I picked up a second. Thanks. Where the other 5 seconds are I don’t know :blush: .

Keep us posted on the baby.

Don

Gasman wrote:

Pantas has the car setup to make weight with ‘him’ as the driver…

:stuck_out_tongue:

+1
I’m still laughing.

double post

IndyJim wrote:

[quote]Gasman wrote:

Pantas has the car setup to make weight with ‘him’ as the driver…

:P[/quote]
Yeah right! He was like 80lb light at CMP as I recall. He stuffed so big ass tire in the car to get close to legal weight.

Pantas told me the car was set up to make weight with him in it. I’m 6’4" and 205lbs, so its not like I miss a meal, but Pantas REALLY doesn’t miss any meals. Indeed, I’ll eat Sonny’s BBQ like the world is ending, but still, I had to add a lot of ballast to that car. I actually had lead weight and some old Mustang brake rotors bolted down for the ride.

Don: Glad you found a second on Sunday. I learned a lot driving that Factory Five over the years, and you would be suprised to learn that the cars drive suprisingly similar. The Factory Five has a lot more power to less weight, so things happen faster, but the handling and mannerisms were similar. The secret to all cars, including the E-30, is finding a way to get the power down sooner. The E-30 doesn’t really make enough power to get you hurt, so you can get judicious with the use of the skinny petal really early in the turn and the rear end will not step out on you. I found that after about 5 laps, the 888’s were getting a little tired of my antics and the car started to push, so I just started entering the turns a little later so I could still get on the gas early. Focus on that.

If anyone wants to read a good book, try reading a book called Going Faster. I forgot who the author was, but I learned a lot of what I know from that book.

I hope I get to drive another E-30 again sometime soon. I have a basically stock 4.6L 5 speed 2001 Mustang GT that I was going to turn into a CMC car, I’m thinking of trading it for a fairly complete Spec E-30 or trading it plus cash for a ready to go Spec E-30 if anyone knows someone wanting a deal like that.

-Scott

Pantas, otherwise known as “the pusher man” Way to get em hooked!

Al

Glad to hear it is dialed-in well. I know who did a lot of work on it to bring it back to par. Good to see it up front.

Scott, it will cost 10k+ to build one
$8k to 12K used
I’ve got a new one that is immaculate (eat off the undercarriage nice) for 15k

If you’re really hooked give a call.770-886-2500

And when you think you’ve got it going-on, travel to no-prisoners land, Mid Atlantic, and race with the boys at VIR.

Come see us at Road Atlanta in August where we’ll have a field of 20+ cars.

Regards, Robert Patton

Scott - Glad to hear you had a good time out there with us. I wish’d I had more car under me for Sunday’s race but the sticker tire RA-1’s were just awful (read my race times were about 5 secs slower than my qualifying times). Nevertheless, good times and happy hunting on finding a car. I look forward to seeing you out there soon.

Andy

Scott-

I knew you’d have a good time… I hope you find something so you can come out to play with us again soon… maybe something in a nice coral color… it works for you :stuck_out_tongue:

Next time, I’m strapping my Traqmate in the car - I need the data/help, all the new boys are beating me!

Patton wrote:

[quote]And when you think you’ve got it going-on, travel to no-prisoners land, Mid Atlantic, and race with the boys at VIR.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry too much about Scott, he doesn’t just drive a FFC car, he’s actually the class 2008 National Champ… we’re calling him Mr. April down here (see the NASA/Grassroots '09 calandar :wink: )

natblack wrote:

[quote]Patton wrote:

[quote]And when you think you’ve got it going-on, travel to no-prisoners land, Mid Atlantic, and race with the boys at VIR.
[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry too much about Scott, he doesn’t just drive a FFC car, he’s actually the class 2008 National Champ… we’re calling him Mr. April down here (see the NASA/Grassroots '09 calandar :wink: )[/quote]

Natalie, exactly. Send him right on up to race with 3 time Spec e30 champ Cobetto, and 2008 champ Skeen at mid atlantic.Those guys are a good test of talent.

Regards, RP

Patton wrote:

[quote]natblack wrote:

[quote]Patton wrote:

[/quote]

I wouldn’t worry too much about Scott, he doesn’t just drive a FFC car, he’s actually the class 2008 National Champ… we’re calling him Mr. April down here (see the NASA/Grassroots '09 calandar :wink: )[/quote]

Natalie, exactly. Send him right on up to race with 3 time Spec e30 champ Cobetto, and 2008 champ Skeen at mid atlantic.Those guys are a good test of talent.

Regards, RP[/quote]

I’m sure it’s just a matter of time :wink:

Now if we could get more of the SE guys/girls to come down and drive their cars instead of renting them out…:stuck_out_tongue:

I may take up that offer to drive at VIR. First I have to learn the track. I was just invited to run the Grassroots Motorsports/Hankook sponsored Ultimate Track Car Challenge in my Factory Five Roadster. That event runs Friday, July 24, and I will follow that up by racing with NASA Mid-Atlantic on July 25 and 26.

After that I may make a run at torturing someone in an E30 again. I just bought some pictures of the car, man that thing really is an ugly Pepto pink. Yuk.

-Scott

Hello Scott

I may have a SPEC e30 available for VIR, I am based there and will be running the UTCC with a biodiesel…

Email me at wabmw25ATaol.com

Al

Al:

I will already have my Factory Five there that weekend and will be running that, otherwise I’d take you up on the offer. I am going to be doing more arrive and drive events in the future and would definately be interested in driving some more E-30’s.