Good engine builder?

If I’m going to have my car hauled to Nationals this year and have a crew chief over it, I’m not doing it with 141 horsepower. Who builds known good, legal engines? Any favorite in the southeast area? I have a donor engine, also, so if a core is needed, I can get that to happen. I don’t just want to drop off the engine at a regular engine rebuilder and let them have at it, I’d rather someone with knowledge on the M20 make it happen.

Metric Mechanic comes to mind…

Not sure if he is for hire and how much, but Paul Poore might be an option. His contact info is here on the site.

Chuck Baader built the engine I have in the car now. It makes good power and has been holding up just fine. And the engine is totally legal.

Mid-Atlantic guys have had success with Stickley engines. DeVinney is running strong with an engine from a spec Miata builder, Sam Moore.

RP

Ranger Gress B)

Bob Shields - Bavarian Auto Service, Rock Hill, Sc.
Bob’s been a racer & instructor for years.
basbob1@comporium.net

Valley Motorwerks/Pointsix Racing

Just dyno’d my new motor last week…161hp/160tq.

Excellent work, even better service.

I second Steve’s recommendation for Valley Motorwerks/Pointsix Racing

Also, on the other end of California Midnight Oil down in San Diego are putting together motors for customers.

In the Chicago Area - Leo Franchi - ex-IMSA, SCCA and BMWCCA and general BMW Expert has been putting together M20’s since the 80’s and can make a strong one.

Also from Chicago Don Dethlefsen at the Werk Shop can put together something real strong.

Stewart Engines in Gasoline Alley in Indianapolis will cost you your left and right arms for the priviledge.

The worst way to do this is have more than one finger in the pie…a mistake that took a couple iterations for me to learn. There’s a number of pieces to power and you have to have one throat to choke. Don’t have one guy build the motor and ship it to you, and then another guy install it. The only way to make this work is if the engine builder installs the motor and then takes the car to a dyno with a big grab bag of parts. That makes one person entirely responsible for that dyno report.

An engine is just a pump of mechanical tolerances. It is one part of the system. Optimizing fuel and ignition has to get attention too.

I just looked over Scott’s dyno info and then sent him an email discussing it. His A/F is pretty lean. IMO it’s premature to consider the engine tired.

[quote=“Steve Ferrario” post=56594]Valley Motorwerks/Pointsix Racing

Just dyno’d my new motor last week…161hp/160tq.

Excellent work, even better service.[/quote]

My motor is being re-built there now too. +1

+1 for Chuck Baader. He built and installed my engine in '08 and I’ve been running it since. He has been a great resource and constantly helpful ever since, as well.

Current lead time for the good pistons (Mahle) is 12 weeks or so. NASCAR orders push back small orders like ours several times during manufacturing. If you want a motor for the nats, you need to order pistons NOW!!! Chuck

[quote=“Patton” post=56581]Mid-Atlantic guys have had success with Stickley engines. DeVinney is running strong with an engine from a spec Miata builder, Sam Moore.

RP[/quote]

Anybody got contact info for Sam Moore?

[quote=“rrroadster” post=59724][quote=“Patton” post=56581]Mid-Atlantic guys have had success with Stickley engines. DeVinney is running strong with an engine from a [strike]spec Miata[/strike]BMW engine builder, Sam Moore.

RP[/quote]

Anybody got contact info for Sam Moore?[/quote]
I haven’t dealt with Sam directly (Fowler dealt with him on my behalf) but I believe his shop also built Fred’s head. Try Bavarian Auto Service in Rock Hill, SC.

I corrected Robert’s quote too.

These guys do perform race motor builds, but are not affiliated with Sam Moore.

My bad. I mixed up the names. I think Sam is at Bavarian Motors of Charlotte (bavclt@ctc.net).

Any one had experience with Korman BMW in Greensboro?

[quote=“Ranger” post=56597]
I just looked over Scott’s dyno info and then sent him an email discussing it. His A/F is pretty lean. IMO it’s premature to consider the engine tired.[/quote]

Why is it running so lean?

I didnt even find where that quote came.from. Are we talking rangers MM motor.