Getting Started - What you need to know

Everything you need to know about getting started in SpecE30: http://spece30.com/content/view/44/66/

The link for this topic

http://spece30.com/content/view/44/66/

appears to be broken.

The old links don’t work since the site got the big upgrade earlier this year, but this is the subforum to poke around for generic newby info. The technical threads are in their own section.

[quote=“Ranger” post=57073]… but this is the subforum to poke around for generic newby info. The technical threads are in their own section.[/quote]…and by “this is the subforum”, Ranger means THIS IS THE SUBFORUM.:cheer:

I wish that linked still worked, what do I need to know to get started?

-Jonathan Adams

[quote=“JonnyAction” post=58916]I wish that linked still worked, what do I need to know to get started?

-Jonathan Adams[/quote]

Jonathan, where do you live? A lot of questions can get answered by linking you up with someone that is experienced in your area. Also, spend some time reading thru old posts in this subforum. Lots of good info here.

The link in my post still works. Got any specific questions?

Buy one of the 5 or so already sorted SpecE30s for sale and get out there. :wink:

Ranger: I see you on bf.c a lot (my username there is skiboard06) I need to pick your brain about se30. I have been racing in BMWCCA CR and need the larger fields that se30 can offer.

I am located just north of Albany, NY. Do you know of anyone near me that knows the ins and outs of se30?

I have considered buying one of the built se30’s that are available. I keep finding important things wrong with them that would require major redo’s. My goal would be to have a kish level build that is very clean and using the right parts, there will be no compromises.

That being said I am certainly in the market for a rust free chassis that is ready to build. Willing to travel (assuming it will be towards the south).

Re. someone in up state NY. Kish would be a good person to ask, he’s sure to know all the NY based SpecE30 types.

Re. buying vs. building. Buy your first car, build your second. Or maybe just consider building your second. Until a person has actually built a race car, and I’ve not, they will drastically underestimate the amount of work and cost. When the options are spend a bunch of money and 2yrs building a car, or buy it for half the cost and get on the track next weekend, it would seem to be an easy choice.

I have built my race car before. I don’t want to fire up that debate because it is a big topic, and I’m still not sure which side of the fence I fall on.

Any idea what the turnouts look like in the northeast?

[quote=“JonnyAction” post=58959]
Any idea what the turnouts look like in the northeast?[/quote]
We had 10 and 8 cars for NJMP this past weekend. I’ve heard similar or slightly better numbers for the Glen. Pocono only gets maybe half as many as several of us just don’t dig on that track and would rather spend our race money elsewhere. If you go down to Summit Point you’ll see around 10-15 typically.

Racing 10 cars in class at the Glen or NJMP is enough to get me excited about this series. Is there a racer in the northeast that always wins, or is it a little more random?

Sean Curran and Peter Thibault are the young hot shoes to watch out for, but if you’re quick you can run with these guys. If Robert Grace shows up, all bets are off. :stuck_out_tongue: He’s an alien.

The good thing about the Northeast right now is that there is someone to race with no matter what your level.
Head over to the Northeast section of the web site and start asking questions. They’ll be plenty of help. I believe there are a couple of cars from up in your general neighborhood that you can check out.
If your interested - I’ll be down at Summit Point on the 20th and 21st. There should be a pretty good representation of cars there and plenty of folks to talk to.
Come on down and introduce yourself.

Bob

If you look at MyLaps we have some of the closest racing going. A second or two covers the entire field. That’s a lot better than most series. A few years back we had .5 covering 1 - 3 at race end at The Glenn. Cant beat that for fun.

I do need to make it to a NASA paddock to learn some faces and ask some questions.

The close racing described above is exactly why I want to make the switch to se30, you guys are doing it right.

What are the impressions of NASA as a whole? Are point totals updated quickly? Do race stewards know the rulebook well? Are the events run efficiently with plenty of organization? How “pro” does the race series feel (intentionally a vague question)?

Points? What are they? :stuck_out_tongue:
I run with both NE and MA regions. I find they are incredibly efficient and well organized. Barring some major on track incident, the schedule is typically kept on time. We rarely sit on the grid for more than a few minutes, which is a real blessing when it’s as hot as it’s been lately. Driving infractions and incidents are taken seriously and seem to be handled fairly from my distant observation. I think the SE30 community polices themselves so well that NASA doesn’t really get involved in our stuff. I never road raced with SCCA but did hill climbs with them, and I feel NASA is far more professionally run while not losing the friendly atmosphere that makes a race weekend so enjoyable. I don’t want my weekend to feel like a job, or that I constantly have to dodge some prima donna with a name tag who wants to assert his authority. You really need to come to a race and just follow along through the day to see how it’s done. Better yet, if you have a comp license, rent a car from DriveGear for even just a day and try the series out before you commit.

Thats what I did before getting a car. I did a few race weekends with DriveGear cars. It convinced me this was the series for me. In retrospect, if you are not planning on doing every race every season renting from DriveGear is a pretty cost effective option and you will have a lot more free time since you don’t need to work on your own car.

I’ve contacted drivegear, they seem like a good way to dip my toes in the water