Getting ready to start building my E30 racer

Thanks for the seat info, Randy. I’ll look into the Corbeau seats.

Is there an easy way to remove the tar on the floorpan? I’ve done a little googling and there are a couple of different methods that seem popular. The most obvious one is to chip it away, but that seems like it could take forever. Some people have used dry ice or LN to make it brittle first… sounds like fun. The other common method is to use a solvent and dissolve it into a goop and scrape it up. That seems as though it would be extremely messy. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Andy

Randy,

How wide are those seats? I was trying out a few seats at WGI over the weekend and my fat ass would only fit a sparco evo 2 plus and a kirkey 16" seat. :ohmy: I wear a size 36. Could you measure the inside dimension of the seats and let me know what they are?

Thanks.

greensha wrote:

[quote]
Is there an easy way to remove the tar on the floorpan? [/quote]

Hit the tar with a heat gun and it will come off nicely. A paint scraper handy would be good. Go after the residue with Goo-gone.

Don’t take the tar out of your trunk tho, or you’ll be adding weight back in later.

Ranger wrote:

You’ve been in the South too long. It’s pronounced “tire.”

Seriously, though, I gotta put in one more plug for the halo style seat. Yes, they cost a few hundred bucks more than the non-halo type. But $100 of the savings (or more) gets eaten up in the cost of the center net and its mounting hardware. And you can’t install the halo at the wrong height because it is part of the seat.

Safety equipment isn’t the place to try to save a few bucks. And it is cheaper to do it right the first time around, IMHO.

Steve D wrote:

I plan on getting the Sparco circuit or circuit pro… I’ll have to measure my arse and see what fits. Those have built in halos.

As far as the tar… 30lbs of dry ice and two hours of time got rid of about 99% of the floorpan tar. I need to clean up a couple of areas with Goof Off, but overall it was a pretty clean affair.

Andy

I stripped all of the tar from my new car is about an hour by judicious use of an air chisel.