gauge cluster...intermittent power?

Problem: entire gauge cluster loses power while car is idling (happened twice in the 3 weeks i’ve owned the car). power comes back to cluster after smacking it.

I have yet to race the car yet. I’ve checked the connectors in the back of the cluster, and tried to make the problem happen voluntarily (electrical work is my thing), however no cigar. before I dive into more troubleshooting, is there any well know problem with the cluster I don’t know about?

[quote=“lightningd” post=72138]Problem: entire gauge cluster loses power while car is idling (happened twice in the 3 weeks i’ve owned the car). power comes back to cluster after smacking it.

I have yet to race the car yet. I’ve checked the connectors in the back of the cluster, and tried to make the problem happen voluntarily (electrical work is my thing), however no cigar. before I dive into more troubleshooting, is there any well know problem with the cluster I don’t know about?[/quote]
Send an email to Jim Levie with a link to this thread. Find him by searching “Members”. He’s probably the best person to help with this kind of question. Not a PM, and email.

my solution was to buy an IQ3 logger dash.

I have no direct experience with this, so do some research. One possibility is the batteries on the SI board. They can cause several weird malfunctions when they go bad. I’d try to find a few forum posts that confirm your symptom was solved by changing them before actually trying it.

thanks for the replies guys. i raced this past weekend, and i didn’t notice it happen at all, so i’m not sure what the deal is. maybe a connector was barely loose and i pushed it all the way in when checking over the cluster. i’ll just let it ride for now. ranger, i’ll send that email when i get a chance. i have to catch up on everything i put off this past week getting ready for the race, lol.