Gas Cap

I got a new gas cap from Turner.

[URL=http://s877.photobucket.com/user/gtncpa/media/E30/Vid001_zps128e1a8d.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s877.photobucket.com/user/gtncpa/media/E30/Vid002_zps9d1379d1.jpg.html][/URL]

It does not look like the old one. I called turner and they said the part number matches. Any ideas guys?

Put it on the car and drive.

RP

[quote=“Patton” post=77776]Put it on the car and drive.

RP[/quote]

Does it look like the right part? Seems to make a worse seal.

Neither of them look like the ones on my 1987 BMW 325is which are all metal. If you like the old one better, run the old one.

The reason I got a new cap was because I got black flagged a couple of weeks ago at Pocono for leaking fuel. The gas tank was over filled, but I dont think it should ever leak. I thought by getting a new cap I would solve the problem. Now I am not so sure.

The left one looks correct. Might want to bring both to next event and compare what you have to everyone else’s.

Good advice … I just don’t want to become the old proverb “For Want of a Nail”… and find myself packing up my car on the trailer and heading home after a few laps on track …

Most folks carry a spare oil and/or gas cap to events. The two have been known to serve in the other’s stead also. There will be lots of spares available.

I changed the radiator (over flow tank) cap just in case. I saw a guy go home when the cap could not longer hold pressure. I am also looking to get brake light bulbs. I just hate when small things keep you from having a good day.

Caps have a hard life because people tend to tighten them down too firmly and the plastic threads get worn.

Note that early and late reservoirs take different caps. I think the late cap is also the e36 cap.

You only need 1 of 3 brake lights working. What you want as a spare is a brake light pedal switch. If that goes, you’re in a pickle.

…and you are sure it’s the cap? These cars are notorious for leaking out the vent tube…

I will check it. Thx

Oil filler caps will fit and look the part and fit, but they will not seal. Most oil caps will have an oil can logo on them, but not all aftermarket caps do. Try the local chain auto parts stores and have a look at what they have.