Fuel Starvation Part 2.09489523

Had been having issues with my 89 that had kept me from getting on track until this past weekend at TWS for the BMW CCA Club Race School to harass the stu…er…help impart wisdom and act as moving chicane during the start exercise. The final thing I had to fix was a dead fuel pump. Well, I got a new one and car runs wonderfully.

Until I’m making a big, right-hand turns. Then it starves. With a 2/3-3/4 full tank. :frowning:

I looked for some evidence of a solution that worked, but couldn’t find the part on the Ireland or Guten Parts website.

Does anyone have any advice/experience/knowledge on a fix? Keeping the fuel tank full isn’t an issue - I need 100lb of ballast to make weight - but I’d like to be able to burn more than 5 gallons of fuel before I start starving for gas.

TIA

Yep. Try this: remove the fuel pump from the tank. Look for a cut in the fuel hose that connects all of the hard line plumbing at the fuel pump.
If you find a cut/tear, lose hose then I just saved you 2 or 3 events worth of aggrivation.

RP

Just double checking fuel pump part numbers. I want to make sure that this - 16141184022 - is the low pressure pre pump.

Correct?

Thanks.

Bump for have same issue.

Race car starves at 1/2 tank out of T1 at VIR. Have not tried to fix it yet.

Street car starves on my favorite off ramps - both long (180+ degrees)

Street car used to be fine - but pump started howling. Turns out it was a cheapo complete assembly that was recently installed (prior to me).

Removed AZ junk and installed used Bosch setup from our parts car (parts are $$ for non-AZ parts) - noise gone but now I’m fuel starving. Bosch pump is quiet and fixed stumble off idle - but we may not have angled sock correctly?

I had tried all the easy ways of fixing my problem, but to no avail. I went to the the dual fuel pump setup. It works flawlessly. Its a modification that could be done with the tank in the car, if your tank is clean. I pulled and cleaned my tank as it was dirty.
Heres the write up:
http://spece30.com/forum/43-fuel-system/74191-how-i-fixed-the-fuel-starvation-in-my-car

Thanks!

Weird that afaik the aftermarket pump didn’t starve but failed in less than a year - whereas the ‘nused’ one is clearly quiet and newish - it starves. It’s a street car so I can live w/ it.

We’ll have to fix the race car though so …sounds not too bad overall.