Fuel line question

I’m at the beginning stages of a brand new build. Right now I’m focused on the stock fuel tank and lines to and from the plastic tank in the top of the right rear wheel well. I cleaned the exterior of the tank and replaced rubber hoses. My main issue is that I don’t quite understand the fuel delivery and return system in these cars.

What is this plastic tank in the wheel well for? Can the lines from the plastic tank to the fuel tank be deleted? What’s the easiest, most efficient way to replace his setup?

Thanks

Ray Prato

I asked too many questions without searching. The tank is an expansion tank and I’m assuming there’s no way around not using it or even simplifying it for that matter

Ray Prato

That tank is part of the vent system. Deleting it would be illegal. You understand how our rules work, correct? If the rules say you can delete/replace/improve, then you can. If the rules don’t say that, then you can’t.

Casually modifying the fuel system would not be smart either. We have enough problems with fuel starvation as the tank gets low. Incautious mods generally don’t improve things.

There are some fuel tank mod ideas that have been worked out over the years that might be worthwhile. If you do some searching you’ll find some discussions. Maybe one of those mods will suit your situation, who knows. In general terms tho, I’d suggest much caution in this area.

As Scott pointed out, you can’t legally delete the tank and hoses. Nor do you want to as the tank serves two purposes. It is a part of the vent system and is an expansion catch tank. While you could pull the tank and use a hose for a vent, even if you route the hose to the top of the fender well the surge from a hard left turn with a full tank will dump fuel out the vent. With the tank in place that fuel goes into the expansion tank and then drains back into the fuel tank.