fuel injectors

i read in a few magazines that running the e30 at race pace and at high RPMs the engine begins to run leaner and leaner which in effect will start to hurt the motor, their solutions are go with a bigger fuel injector, from a 14.5 lbs injector to a 17+ injector. Do you guys think this is smart and helpful fix?

in my opinion couldn’t you fix the problem your self with cleaning up the fuel injectors?

You should ask about this at E30Tech.com, not here. Since this is not an allowed mod, the SpecE30 guys are going to have limited experience with it.

Having said that, we as a community have shared a lot of dyno charts and I studied my own from a couple weeks ago. The motor is definately not going lean at high rpms. For many of us there is a lean zone between ~4500 and ~5500, but that is a product of something else (that is not well understood). But from 5500 to the red line, there is clearly no problem with the motor running lean.

so the car doesnt run lean at high RPM? thats good news to me one less thing to worry about lol.

From my research at e30tech the larger injectors will do nothing. after about 20mins of running the Computer will compensate for having larger injectors by reducing the injector timing.

This is why I have 19# injectors and a Chip to compensate in my other e30

alright thanks guys for help and info. one less thing to think/worry about.:slight_smile:

I had it backwards. There is a rich zone from around 4500-5500 and then the mixture gets lean. But the mixture is almost always on the lean side and what it does between 5500 and red line isn’t much different. I’ve tested multiple ECU’s and his has remained true. I can’t say for sure that injector size can be discounted, but I can say for sure that none of my fuel/air mixture curves show any tendency to get more lean with increasing RPM.

definitely need a chip like a markd to run the bigger injectors. like scott said, I wouldn’t worry about it.