Front subframe reinforcement?

Last year I bought a few reinforcement kits while I was getting the SE30 suspension kit from TMS and had intended to install the front reinforcements this winter. But as I examine the kit I note a couple of things. The first is that my '87 has what appears to be a fairly nice reinforcement already installed as part of the factory suspension. It’s a thick sheet metal bracket that sits between the engine mount and the subframe and wraps around the subframe seam weld at one edge. It looks like it should do a very good job of spreading and distributing the load of the mounts and that just welding on the TMS piece is probably redundant. It has a couple of small mounting ears that mount to a heat shield, presumable to protect the mount on the passenger side from the exhaust heat. Pic’s attached. The second is that the kit includes a reinforcement plate for a subframe ear that doesn’t appear to exist on my subframe. Or maybe I’m just blind. Comments eagerly awaited.

[attachment=1923]E30FrontSubframeEngineMount.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1924]E30EngineMountReinforcementBracket1.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1925]E30EngineMountReinforcementBracket2.jpg[/attachment]

[attachment=1926]E30EngineMountReinforcementBracketInstalled.jpg[/attachment]

I don’t remember what I did on the front subframe if anything. The welded reinforcement helps prevent the bolt pulling through the bottom. The factory plate helps some but not as good as a welded plate.

The rear bits are most likely for the sway bar attachment tabs. They tend to bend without reinforcement. I welded a piece flat on the tab as well as a piece perpendicular as added support.

I finally figured out the pics. Apparently both sets of reinforcements go to the bottom side of the engine mount in the “cup” of the ear.