Forced Performance Recommendations for Motor Oil

good read…

http://store.forcedperformance.net/merchant2/graphics/subaru_oil/Forced%20Performance%20Recommendations%20for%20Motor%20Oil.pdf

There’s some ideas that need to be added tho.

1. The article doesn’t explain “why”. It doesn’t mention the how high temp shear #'s (HTHS) vary significantly between xW30’s and xW50s and that’s likely why the bearing failed.

2. It doesn’t address anti-wear additives such as ZDDP. It just talks vaguely of “pressure additives”.

3. It discusses Joe Gibbs oils in the same context as AMSOIL, Brad Penn and 20W50. This isn’t workable. Joe Gibbs recommends oils per specific bearing tolerances and their recommendations come out very thin. So saying AMSOIL, Brad Penn, and Joe Gibbs in the same sentance is like saying that these two xW50’s and that xW30’s are good solution. That xW30 recommendation is “out there” and needs all sorts of qualifications.

It’s good to see folks doing testing and compiling #'s tho.

I’m not running a turbo. Why do you guys keep insinuating I am running a turbo? :stuck_out_tongue:

Next time an M20 blows the dipstick out on the dyno, then read this article. Until then I’m not sure the applicability of it.

does your oil ever run over 200???

it was intended for Ranger only, really!

[quote=“NASA144” post=55926]does your oil ever run over 200???

it was intended for Ranger only, really![/quote]
No, about 120 mph is all I can see at Road Atlanta.

Wha? Ohhhh. Oil temp? Dunno. Ryan keeps telling me I should look at those gauges.

Ignorance is bliss.

The article conclusions aren’t valid; like Ranger said, they should have compared oils of the same grade. The table which details Zinc and Phos content is interesting. I wonder where they obtained this data… The Mobil 1 20W-50 (V-Twin) motorcycle oil looks very nice and is available in most parts stores. Anyone tried this oil?

I’ve not tried M1 V-Twin but it is very highly regarded by Navarro the oil guru at LN Engineering. There’s an 80p thread at Pelican that puts M1 V-Twin on the skyline, along with Brad Penn and some Swepco oil. There’s a link to that thread on my website.

i tried it once and my motor didn’t blow up so it must be pretty good

i tried it once and my motor didn’t blow up so it must be pretty good[/quote]

That seems like reasonable logic to me…

Ironic that your comment would be posted on April 1 in a thread directed toward Ranger. :lol:

Reasonable logic in Spec E30.
Military intelligence.
Jumbo shrimp.
Apple tech support.
Legal brief.