For those who also race with BMW CCA...Read on

Friendly reminder to those who also race with BMW CCA from time to time. They have made some changes to safety/expiration requirements that are more restrictive than the CCR.

Three that I know of are listed below. No promises that I haven’t missed something else important, but these are likely to catch many of us:

Window nets:
Window nets shall expire on December 31 of the second year
after the date of manufacture as indicated on the label.
Window nets without a certification label shall be considered as
expired and must be replaced.

Center Nets (still only recommended/not required if you have a containment seat, but for the rest of us, read on:
Effective 1 Jan 2010:
i The interior net must be SFI 27.1 rated and shall expire on
December 31 of the second year after the date of
manufacture as indicated on the label.
(2) Interior nets without a certification label shall be
considered as expired and must be replaced.[/i]

(I believe the correct specification is actually SFI 37.1 not 27.1 but the gist is the same.)

And last but not least, HANS tethers:
HANS tethers shall be replaced every three years or after any
incident where the tethers have been elongated. HANS tethers are
the only part of the HANS that expire. HANS tethers since 2006
have a sewn-on HANS tag on the tether with a year embroidered
under the HANS logo. A tether with 2007, for example, is good for
2007, 2008, and 2008. A 2009 tether is good until December 31,
2011. The date on the SFI sticker has no bearing on the
certification of the HANS or the tethers.

In addition to the 27.1 error, I like how the hans tethers are good for 2008 twice.

Stupid short lifetimes on these items thanks to the SFI trade association.

There is a new FIA 8862-2009 seat standard that is good for 10 years that will be added to the CCR soon.
bruce

Exactly why I no longer race BMW. CB

since se30 is a guest class bmwcca accepts the nasa book and annual inspection. seems like that would mean we are held to nasa standards on vehicle prep. either way, does anyone actually check these items at a bmwcca races?

jtower wrote:

At the BMWCCA Oktoberfest race Tech told me that I would be needing to replace the tether on my R3 HNR soon. So I called Safety Solutions (IIRC) and they told me that their tethers don’t expire. I asked them for that in writing for my logbook and they said they’d contact the SFI folks and get back to me. A couple follow-up calls didn’t help any.

I’m pretty sure that as a “foreign class” SpecE30 has to obey BMWCCA safety expiration regs. I think that the only part that we get over is that our fire extinguishers are ok in lieu of the BMWCCA req’d fire suppression system.

if they don’t expire then presumably there’s no expiration date on them. and if there’s no date, what made the tech inspector think they needed to be replaced? maybe he’s a sfi stockholder.

You guys need to carefully read the rules on guest participation classes if you wish to avoid problems at a CCA event.

In general, safety gear and decals must meet CCA requirements. There are exceptions, however.

Presenting your car at a CCA race with a valid NASA annual does not mean your car won’t be inspected for compliance with safety/presentation standards. In fact, you should expect it.

double post

good point chuck, i’m looking at the new rule book right now (page 29). i won’t cut and paste it here, but the bottom line seems to be that the car must meet the requirements of the non-bmwcca sanctioning body, while the driver (ie personal safety gear) must meet bmwcca regs. thanks for bringing it to everyone’s attention.

A couple of notes. If you have a current NASA log book, you should not be inspected other than for safety. Since the CCA requires more in safety gear for the driver than does NASA, compliance will be necessary. CCA quit doing annuals at the track, so you would not be able to get a CCA log book at the track anyway.

Do BMW events have DE’s? I see they have a race at Laguna in July and figure this would be a perfect place to pop my track cherry. The car is bone stock to date with seats/harness. Bilstien’s and H&R’s and 4pt VSR cage on the way, will I be held up in any way? Will this work for SE30 DE’s as well?

cganne wrote:

The BMWCCA races out here sometimes coincide with BMWCCA Driving School weekends (they used to always be separate, but that changed last year). I’m not sure about the Laguna Seca race, but they are doing a driving school at seca on May 26th: http://www.ggcbmwcca.org/?page=calendar&id=477

Re. “SE30 DE’s”. SpecE30 races as part of NASA. NASA events consist of DE’s, time trials, and races. www.NASAProRacing.com