Flexible Filler Hose (P/N confirmation?)

The flexible hose that goes from the filler neck to the fuel tank looks pretty cracked on my car. I want to make sure that I order the correct one. I looked on RealOEM and it gives me p/n 16121180402, HOWEVER the ‘Up To’ date is 09/1987. This confuses me because my car was built in 06/1988. RealOEM does not show an updated p/n.

I have found the part on Bav Auto here, but it says it has not confirmed it will fit my car. Blunt also has the p/n in stock, but it’s not listed when I select my car.

Also, are there any other fuel hoses/parts that you recommend changing “while I’m in there?”

Sometimes part #'s change w/o the part making any meaningful change. The late model fuel tanks is different than early. '88 is a funny transition year so anything can happen. I’d email Jim Levie (jlevie) and ask him. He’s pretty familiar with fuel tanks and would probably know if the difference between early and late tanks impacted the design of that hose.

That hose always looks awful because it gets so dirty. But since neither tank no filler pipe moves, the hose is under pretty much no stress it’s entire life. I’d suggest double-checking it’s condition. Doesn’t it really look like it’s failing or are you just seeing 25yrs of dirt and neglect? I’ve removed the filler pipe 4x and those hoses have always looked awful yet were actually quite stout and serviceable.

There isn’t much in the way of “while you’re in there” in this task. You’ll have to unfasten the filler pipe so you can wiggle it away from the tank a little, but that’s really all there is to it.

I once used a hole saw to remove the filler pipe restriction. The idea was to be able to use fuel jugs with bigger hoses. In order to keep debris out of the tank I removed your filler pipe hose. So if you’re interested in removing that restriction, you could do that while you have the hose removed. Just be sure to spray something down the filler pipe afterwards to wash out debris.

If I squeeze it and see cracks, does that not suggest it should be replaced? (I will double check this for sure before ordering the ~$30 hose – I didn’t actually get touchy-feely with it before, just looked at it.)

I would never encourage one to get touchy-feely.

The cracks you saw could simply be cracks in the outer layer of dirt and grime. That fits what I’ve seen so it’s worth confirming. I’ve nothing against replacing fuel filler hoses. It’s just useful to hear from someone who’s been in your shoes.

Are you sure you have the tank style shown in that RealOEM diagram? I have replaced my tank and all the rubber hoses. My tank has the opening for the fuel level sender on the left side and fuel pump with sender on the right. The flexible hose from filler neck to tank you have shown from Bav Auto fits my setup. My car has a build date of 12/87.

No, I do not have the tank style shown on the RealOEM link. I have the later 63L tank, which is what I believe you have as well, so the fact that it fits yours probably means it fits mine.

I am kind of confused about RealOEM actually. I seem unable to navigate back to that link. Note that the URL says “model=1113,” this seems to correspond to my particular model E30. The same string shows in the URL for the RealOEM page I bookmarked for my car. When I navigate to “16 FUEL SUPPLY” the “FUEL TANK/FUEL FEED” shows the 63L tank I have while the “FUEL TANK/ATTACHING PARTS” shows the earlier 55L tank. When I start from scratch on the RealOEM home page, and I go to “FUEL TANK/ATTACHING PARTS,” I don’t see the p/n for #17 in the diagram. However, when I use my bookmarked link and I go to that page, I see it (i.e. I see the page I linked to in the original post). This only adds to my confusion…

I see the problem you’re having, must be an incorrect diagram in there. RealOEM isn’t perfect, but it will get you what you need 90% of the time.

I think you have the correct part picked out.