First Engine Install- Need Help!

I just put the Engine and transmission into the car and am trying to hook everything up and get it started. I have never taken a motor out of an e30 or put one in, so I’m not sure how some of the wiring goes. There are two wires coming out of the fuse box, one red and one black, that I can’t figure out where they go. Do they go to the starter? Alternator? Or somewhere else?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Forrest

Need pics.

No, they don’t go to starter nor alternator.

The starter has 4 wires.
The big connector, a threaded stud, on the starter fastens 2 big wires. One goes to a connection point on the firewall forward of the passenger. The other goes to the big stud on the alternator.

Both the medium size stud (10mm nut) and the small stud (8mm nut) go to wires in the engine harnes, the 8’ cable that terminates into the DME (car’s computer).

The alternator has 2 wires. One is the big one mentioned above. The smaller stud connects to a wire coming out of the engine harness.

Once you lay the engine harness in place, it’s pretty easy to figure out where the connectors fit to. There’s a couple that are ambiguous tho and one should paint or mark them so they never get confused. The CPS (crank pos sensor) and #6 plug wire sensor are at the end of the harness and their connectors are identical. If you get this wrong the car won’t start.

The TPS (throttle pos sensor) and IACV (idle air cont valve) sensor connectors are about 16" upstream from the CPS and #6 wire sensors and their connectors are identical. If you get this wrong the car will idle poorly.

Thanks. Here is a picture of the wires in question (if it works). The engine harness was already on the engine I bought, so there isn’t a lot of stuff left, just a few things I couldn’t find in the Bentley manual.

Havent figured out how to post pics yet. Here is a dropbox link showing the wires in question. There are arrows pointing at the two wires and where they come out of the fuse box.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/zfboux4p5ukoq5p/IMG_1204.png

Those two wires go over to the terminal black where the positive battery cable connects to the firewall. You should have a couple nuts connected to the terminal block to accept these wires. When I get home, I will take a photo and post it unless someone else (Ranger) does it first.

There are two wires coming from the battery that connect to the terminal block. To do this right, using that block, you want to connect the wires from the battery to the wires from the fusebox while keeping the wires separate. Big to big, small to small. This separation will become an issue when you later install a killswitch.

In the top pic you will see 2 red wires on the left and 1 on the right. The ones on the left are not OEM. The one on the right would normally go to the terminal block.

[URL=http://s465.photobucket.com/user/RangerGress/media/Mechanical/IMAGE_014_zpscfe9cabe.jpg.html][/URL]

[URL=http://s465.photobucket.com/user/RangerGress/media/Mechanical/IMAGE_015_zps39a08a27.jpg.html][/URL]

Thanks for the help. I got it hooked up tonight and turned it over to make sure I had everything wired up. I’ve got spark and power to the fuel pump and will try and start it tomorrow.

I have one last question, the fuel line from the tank goes under the intake in the center of the engine, correct? This is the picture of where I think it goes, If someone could confirm it that would help a lot.

That’s the vapor vent solenoid. The hose from it goes to the charcoal cannister next to the power steering reservoir. We don’t have to keep this anymore so we remove the solenoid and plug the hose.

The purpose of that solenoid is to allow the DME to suck gas fumes out of the charcoal cannister when triggered.

Okay, Thanks for all the help!