Filling door molding holes

I’ve a complete novice when it comes to body work. I’ve decided to make the car all one color (instead of paint, bondo, bare metal). I’ve removed the broken molding pieces that were on the doors and fenders, but now I’ve got to fill those holes back in. I’ve tried body filler, but it just squishes into the holes, makes a mess, and leaves me with holes still. How should I go about filling these in so I can paint the car?

I presume that you are talking about the holes that are used to mount the lower trim that runs from front to rear. The only way to deal with those is to weld in plugs. The easy fix is to retain that molding.

These are a challenge, I welded mine in, then ground down the welds, then went over them with body filler and sanded that down too, and guess what? It still looks like crap!

the main problem was grinding down the welds in that tight area. I didnt do a smooth job and is shows thru the paint.

Check out the pics here.

http://picasaweb.google.com/dpereda/SpecE30#

It is the Tan now Gray/blue car at the bottom, not the red rust bucket

The door trim is easy to put on and Pelican has all the clips. Can you get more door trim?

I think i have extra door trim now, It is kinda ugly, but a coat of SEM bumper black would do wounders

Took another shot with the body filler. Put some waterproof metallic tap over each hole from the inside. Then body filler from the outside. Might still look like crap, but the guy at the parts counter said he’s done it before. If it’ so awful, I may buy new molding…

I have use this stuff on several holes in my body work (not the trim - I still have mine) but it worked very well and the finish is good. I used the metallic backing tape as well.

http://www.por15.com/PORPATCH/productinfo/PPB/

I put vinyl over the holes- like a stripe. Looks good to me.

Teufelauto wrote:

THE WINNER!!

Teufelauto wrote:

Yeah, Ive always planned to put vinyl dots over mine.

I had a vinyl cutter cut up some gloss black stripes to go along the edge of my car - combined that with a satin black coloured bumper strip on the front airdam, and she looks OE!