Feedback from CMP on the new tire?

So? How did everyone like the RR?

I actually got a chance in December to drive them in back to back sessions vs a pretty sweet spot RA1, and, well, they’re better. They have more ultimate grip and great feel.

The biggest question for me is how long they will last.

It’s 2 seconds faster for 5-6 laps. By lap 10 it has RA1 levels of grip. Doom on you if you don’t adjust to the loss of grip.

I agree with Ranger. They drop off fast when they do, but seem to be good for the first 5 or so laps. I just like that you don’t have to shave them, just mount and go. Heat cycle 1 will not be a fun one, so adjust accordingly. Oh, and don’t believe them if they tell you to run more air pressure. I tried that, it doesn’t work.

I played with air pressures at Roebling this past weekend. First I asked around to find out what the front runners were doing. That got me nowhere because they all contradicted each other.

What I learned is that RA1 pressures or a little lower seem to be ok, if not terrific. My experiment with higher pressures (40-41psi)were on the tire’s 8th heat cycle. The tires were slow but I don’t know how much of that was pressure and how much of it was a lesson that the tires can’t hardly make it thru 2 race weekends.

It would be a real bummer to learn that RR’s are 2 weekend tires. If you assume 10 race weekends and are using 3 weekend tires, you can find a way to get thru the year on 3 sets of tires. But with 2 weekend tires you pretty much have to buy 5 sets. That would be bad.

So far five separated tires around the 4 heat cycle mark for me. They are starting to add up here in Nor Cal, 15-20 some odd I think so far… Mounted and rotated by the book! My first set had 14 heat cycles and were good until corded. 6 heat cycles in a race weekend, test day on the Friday before that’s 4-5 more heat cycles, pretty much takes car of them in one weekend!

I’ve played with the air pressure a bit, I like to run them significantly lower than most. As noted above, I tried higher pressure and hated it.

Can you say that a different way, I didn’t understand any of that.

You have 5 tires w/ 4 heat cycles, but they have 15-20 heat cycles.

Your first set had 14 heat cycles but were also good until corded which was some unknown heat cycles later.

Some set had 10-11 heat cycles and were taken care of in 1 weekend.

So you were happy with their traction or not? Air pressures?

Ok

I have had 5(five) different tires with 4(four) heat cycles each with tread separation.

I have also had one set(4tires) last 14 heat cycles and were good until they corded on the 14 cycle.

With a practice day, lets say the Friday before the race weekend you could have up to 5 heat cycles plus the 6 cycles from the race weekend = 11(eleven) total heat cycles = pretty much used up in 1(one) two day race weekend and a test day.

If my math is correct without the Friday test, 3cycles(Saturday) + 3cycles(Sunday) = 6cycles for the weekend, you might get your tires to last 2(two) race weekends!

In Nor Cal (Northern California) I have seen or heard of 17 different RR tires with tread separating.

Hot tire pressure somewhere between 25psi and 40psi :slight_smile: