Exhaust very hot...

Working on my non spec e30/gts1…the exhaust manifolds seem to be heating up very fast and very hot, never noticed that on the Spec e30…what could be the cause? Lean? I just changed the plugs, they were platinum. Car seems to run OK otherwise, no stumbling…

Al

Does it have cats? They could be clogged.

Lean is the only thing I can think of. What seems different such that you perceive them to be getting so hot?

The damn things are pretty hot, but I’ve paid so little attention to them that they could get twice as hot as usual and I don’t know if I’d notice it.

I had to shield last year’s oil plumbing, and make a shield for the motor mount 2yrs ago because the manfold was melting things. I also wrapped the downtube in some fibrous stuff so the heat wouldn’t radiate so much.

Ranger wrote:

Just curious if we are allowed to do that in the rules before I go out and buy the stuff to wrap it.

We all know the SpecE30 rule. If doesn’t say you can, then you can’t. Here is the rule that mentions it:

9.3.4.3 Original factory installed exhaust heat shields may be removed or replaced with
material that only insulates the driver compartment from exhaust system heat.

I would say that covers it. I don’t know that header wrapping your entire header would be covered.

Does act like bad cat…but has race exhaust…fuel filter was crap…so I think that was it. (hope…)

Al

epalacio19 wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

Just curious if we are allowed to do that in the rules before I go out and buy the stuff to wrap it.[/quote]
My perception is that, strictly speaking, it’s not legal. But one has to use some common sense too. I’ve already melted one motor mount. No sense melting a second. All it would take is for a motor mount to fail because of heat and the resulting shift of the motor take out a coolant or oil line. Then the guy behind gets his day ruined because his car slips in the stuff and is totalled.

Ranger wrote:

[quote]epalacio19 wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

Just curious if we are allowed to do that in the rules before I go out and buy the stuff to wrap it.[/quote]
My perception is that, strictly speaking, it’s not legal. But one has to use some common sense too. I’ve already melted one motor mount. No sense melting a second. All it would take is for a motor mount to fail because of heat and the resulting shift of the motor take out a coolant or oil line. Then the guy behind gets his day ruined because his car slips in the stuff and is totalled.[/quote]

So if I follow you train of thought here… I could run Hoosiers so I’ll have better grip an not take anyone while racing side-by-side through a turn?

[size=2]speaking of running on good tires. Don’t forget to bring my tires to CMP[/size] :woohoo: [color=#A7A7A7][/color]

scottmc wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

[quote]epalacio19 wrote:

[quote]Ranger wrote:

My perception is that, strictly speaking, it’s not legal. But one has to use some common sense too. I’ve already melted one motor mount. No sense melting a second. All it would take is for a motor mount to fail because of heat and the resulting shift of the motor take out a coolant or oil line. Then the guy behind gets his day ruined because his car slips in the stuff and is totalled.[/quote]

So if I follow you train of thought here… I could run Hoosiers so I’ll have better grip an not take anyone while racing side-by-side through a turn?
[/quote]
Yes that’s it precisely. My S52 is a similar safety mod because it allows me to stay ahead of trouble.

No, the headers aren’t wrapped. It’s just a couple inches of downtube next to the motor mount.

I’m not sure I buy this whole header wrapping business anyhow. There’s no way that wrapping headers is going to have a significant affect on intake air temp when air is blasting into the engine bay at 70-125mph.

no but it may help reduce passenger shoe melting :slight_smile:

jtower wrote:

I’d forgotten about that. So maybe Chris is right and it’s legal under 9.3.4.3.