Exhaust repair advice

So apparently the exhaust wasn’t made to support the weight of an SE30 crashing down on ARMCO. Mine was crushed in the middle (right around the back of the tranny). What’s the best way to repair this? I’m thinking having the local Midas cut out the 10-12 inch section and weld in a new one? Any other suggestions?

Do it.

[quote=“turbo329is” post=66255]Do it.[/quote]+1. As long as the collector is ok. That’s a Paul Poore unique part. A piece of 1" tubing with a couple adapters and you’re good.

Thanks. Now I have to get under there and figure out how much of the exhaust was welded. I’d rather not have to remove the headers and all!

Just take the car to an exhaust shop and have them cut out the damaged section and weld in a replacement. It will be easier and faster to fix it on the car.

The problem with “dry” humor is that subtlety has to be carefully balanced so that the joke has just the right amount of visibility that folks are left to wonder “is that a joke”. Gauging that balance requires having a measure of the audience. If, for example, the audience isn’t very bright they might completely miss a recommendation to replace a piece of 3" dia. exhaust pipe with 1" pipe.

Ranger, you know we only listen to half of what you say (and pray that its the half that is right and makes sense).

Oh such evil that he would strike a dagger thru my heart.

I listen to everything Scott says. Part is good info and the rest is a good dissertation on what not to do.

That’s true. The first half of his responses are “here’s what I did wrong in my 17 attempts”

The problem with “dry” humor is that subtlety has to be carefully balanced so that the joke has just the right amount of visibility that folks are left to wonder “is that a joke”. Gauging that balance requires having a measure of the audience. If, for example, the audience isn’t very bright they might completely miss a recommendation to replace a piece of 3" dia. exhaust pipe with 1" pipe.[/quote]

I noticed but figured it was a typo. Perhaps if had typed out one inch I would have thought you were making a joke.

Put in a 1" piece of tube and I can protest you next time you beat me.

The problem with “dry” humor is that subtlety has to be carefully balanced so that the joke has just the right amount of visibility that folks are left to wonder “is that a joke”. Gauging that balance requires having a measure of the audience. If, for example, the audience isn’t very bright they might completely miss a recommendation to replace a piece of 3" dia. exhaust pipe with 1" pipe.[/quote]

I noticed but figured it was a typo. Perhaps if had typed out one inch I would have thought you were making a joke.

Put in a 1" piece of tube and I can protest you next time you beat me.[/quote]
The way I’m driving if you lose to me you’ve got serious skill problems that aren’t going to get fixed with paperwork.

The last comment was for Cosmos. I don’t think I’ll be visiting the SE region anytime soon unless it’s to fire my real estate agent.

[quote=“Ranger” post=66313]
The way I’m driving if you lose to me you’ve got serious skill problems that aren’t going to get fixed with paperwork.[/quote]

Hey! I lost to you two weeks ago and I don’t think I have “serious skill problems”. You are better than you think. Particularly at blocking. Those goons that you race with in the SE that kicked our asses are “damn good”. Bring on the “new meat” as Patton said.

Don

[quote=“donstevens” post=66329][quote=“Ranger” post=66313]
The way I’m driving if you lose to me you’ve got serious skill problems that aren’t going to get fixed with paperwork.[/quote]

Hey! I lost to you two weeks ago and I don’t think I have “serious skill problems”. You are better than you think. Particularly at blocking. Those goons that you race with in the SE that kicked our asses are “damn good”. Bring on the “new meat” as Patton said.

Don[/quote]
Nahh, I beat you because I’ve a bezillion laps at CMP and you’ve got 6-8. Given your unfamiliarity with the track, you did very well. Particularly at the kink.

Why thank you Scott. That is nice of you. Yeah, I did some corners well and sucked in others. After watching some of the other guy’s videos I can see where I was giving up some time. I can’t wait to get back to try some new tricks.

Sorry to hijack the thread Cosm3os. I agree with your idea. Take it to Midas and have them cut and fit a new section.

Don