exhaust removal

just have to vent …
I’ve spent hours trying to get the six damn nuts off to remove the exhaust downpipes from the manifolds. I’m down to 2 that are mostly stripped from attempts before I learned the magic of heating the nuts.

Just for the archives, I initially started working with long socket extensions from under the car and my impact wrench. Then I realized that the nuts are all accessible from the top and a box wrench and pry bar work well after heating the nuts for several minutes.

I take it from some things I’ve read that earlier cars had a flange joint just ahead of the cat - that would have been soooo much easier to reach!
thanks,
bruce

Hello

I do a ritual 7 day WD40 soaking of the nuts before I attempt. Never attempt with air the first time. I usually start up top with the box wrench and a long pry bar. Make sure you are using a very good quality wrench, the cheap ones with round it off for sure. After they are all loose I go underneath and use a 6 point short socket with 2 or 3 wobble extensions. this job is a pain and will show you why good tools cost $$.

Al

I hear you Al…

I needed more access room, so this aft I decided to remove the whole front suspension including subframe so I can have the reinforcements welded in. Both of the motor mounts came out in two pieces.
I’m tired … The nuts can wait until tomorrow.
bruce

FARTBREF wrote:

[quote]Hello

I do a ritual 7 day WD40 soaking of the nuts before I attempt. Never attempt with air the first time. I usually start up top with the box wrench and a long pry bar. Make sure you are using a very good quality wrench, the cheap ones with round it off for sure. After they are all loose I go underneath and use a 6 point short socket with 2 or 3 wobble extensions. this job is a pain and will show you why good tools cost $$.

Al[/quote]
Amen on the tools. This also is one of those jobs that will drop rust in your eye when you are under the car trying to get these suckas off. Also take the time and spend the few bucks to get the correct COPPER nuts that belong here.

While taking the exhaust manifold nuts off I used some of Sean’s/Al’s advice. I soaked them in PB Blaster for a couple of days and then turned them clockwise just a touch, and then counter clockwise to remove them. All came out ok without breaking any of them.

And yes, I used Snap On 6 points.

Carter