Exhaust heat wrap

Can someone clarify this rule? 9.3.4.3 Original factory installed exhaust heat shields may be removed or replaced with
material that only insulates the driver compartment from exhaust system heat. Materials
used may attach to the exhaust components and/or the car body.

Is using exhaust wrap on the down pipe (From the manifolds to the spec exhaust) legal?

would that make a difference in the temperature inside the driver’s compartment?
bruce

It probably would! my feet are very sensitive.

Some folks think that there is a performance advantage in “wrapping headers” so an exhaust wrap could get questioned. That being said, I have a some insulator stuff wrapped around my downtube where it comes closest to the motor mount. It’s an attempt to prevent another motor mount from melting.

I don’t know if there is a performance advantage in wrapping headers.

Thats all I want to do too, the motor mount is just out there and I wanted to wrap or cover that part of the exhaust to avoid melting anything.

I can’t imagine anyone worrying about exhaust wrap that is clearly only there to help protect the motor mount.
I also don’t know if it creates a performance advantage - I think I’ve read that wrapping can accelerate corrosion.
thx
bruce

The idea behind wrapping headers is to move the heat further back and away from the engine. Good luck trying to wrap our one piece headers. More power to you if you can get it done. :slight_smile:

The first line of defense for the motormount bushing is the OEM heat sheild. If yours is missing fabricate something. You just need a piece of sheetmetal maybe 6X8" with a hole in it so you can fasten it to the top of your steel motor support arm.

6X8" is the fixed size for it to be taken or what?

[quote=“chente4frullo” post=57852]6X8" is the fixed size for it to be taken or what?[/quote] It doesn’t get taken, it gets forgotten. No one wants to swipe your motormount’s heat sheild. Mechanics just forget them when they R/R a motor.

There’s no size spec. Just take a look at how much space you have and fab something reasonable.

Haha, Ranger that is another Spam bot. Reported.