Exhast

Hello

My exhast is the stock downpipes cut at the cat with one single 2.5 inch pipe all the way back, following the stock location. the exhast shop cut the stock system about 2 inches back from where the downpipes collect into one pipe for the cat, squezzed it in a vise, welded on a flange and bolted it up. From the way I read the rules this is legal, although some may read it as needing 2 pipes all the way back…comments?

Thanks

Fartbref

definitely legal with the changes in the 2006 rules just posted.
bruce

Hey

yep, just read the new rules…that is great because I had paid to have that exhast made for a street car, I think it will work good on the spec e30…I know it sounds good!

Fartbref

I just noticed that too! This make so much more sense.

Fartbref,
do you have any muffler at all? If not, how loud is it?
thanks,
bruce

FARTBREF wrote:

[quote]Hello

My exhast is the stock downpipes cut at the cat with one single 2.5 inch pipe all the way back, following the stock location. the exhast shop cut the stock system about 2 inches back from where the downpipes collect into one pipe for the cat, squezzed it in a vise, welded on a flange and bolted it up. From the way I read the rules this is legal, although some may read it as needing 2 pipes all the way back…comments?

Thanks

Fartbref[/quote]

FARTBREF wrote:

[quote]Hey

yep, just read the new rules…that is great because I had paid to have that exhast made for a street car, I think it will work good on the spec e30…I know it sounds good!

Fartbref[/quote]

Al:

How did you come up with that name?

:laugh:

Carter
(sweetbref)

I think I confused myself after reading the archives. :S
We no longer have to abide by the two pipes rule? I can run a single (less expensive) single pipe out to a rear muffler? And the muffler can be single outlet?

Slightly different Q: to those running just a stock cat (no muffler?), do you feel the performance is hurt any by retaining the cat? I’m not yet sure it is legal to still run my car on the street/pass inspection if the cat is removed.

According to the rules, one pipe is fine. Look at the definition of ""modified" in the rules.

Regarding the cat, so many are old that some of the material inside can clog the flow. I gutted my cat and it still passed the inspection.

Carter

Hey Al, I never got a response from you about those downpipes – I emailed you early last week.

Thanks,

• Dan

ddavidv wrote:

I wanted to keep my car street legal here in NC. My '87 325is doesn’t have to pass a sniff test anymore, but I was told inspections will visually verify the existence of a cat under the car. Thanks to a little work, mine’s there with absolutely nothing inside so I have both the power and the legal look.

Sasha

how big a hole do you have to make to gut it and then close it back up?
thanks
bruce

I tried pounding the clay out from the end by using a newly sharpened jack hammer chisel. I got bored with that method 5 minutes and one big blister later. So I put a ferrous metal blade on my circular saw and cut a hole out of the top that was roughly half the size of the top. There’s a big rib in the middle that I didn’t bother to go through (all the clay is in the front half IIFR); I’d say I had a rectangular hatch that was about 6" wide by 8" long. After the cutting, a simple screw driver and hammer removed the clay in about 3 minutes. A friend welded the hatch back in for a 6-pack of Czech beer.

Good luck,
Sasha

Ex36 wrote:

I did my last two that way with good results, one with a broom handle and the last with a huge, long concrete drill bit. Seemed a lot easier to me than opening it. It doesn’t take more than a few minutes if you have someone hold the "stick" on the ground and smash the cat section down on top of it a few times.

I used a piece of re-bar on mine and it took about an hour of heavy work. I also used some long needle nose pliers to pull out what looked like stainless steel mesh.

Carter

Carter’s experience is more typical of what I’ve heard about the bashing method: hours. Cutting the big hatch in the top required about 5 minutes and being extra mindful of the hot metal and sparks I sent everywhere (hit my face and landed in the dry mulch). Aside from the multiple steps involved (cutting and welding), this proved to be a very easy and thorough method. Carter is right that there’s a wire mesh substrate between the clay and the outer wall of the cat top and bottom that’s tack-welded at the corners. With my hatch method, I just pulled this out in one piece with my hands.

Sasha

Post edited by: Ex36, at: 2006/08/19 19:22

So does par. 9.3.4.1 which states that the exhaust from the cat back can be "modified" allow the cat to be removed? When I got my car, the exhaust was piped straight back to the muffler. I would like to leave it that way if I can.

Andy

Ex36 wrote:

[quote]Carter’s experience is more typical of what I’ve heard about the bashing method: hours. Cutting the big hatch in the top required about 5 minutes and being extra mindful of the hot metal and sparks I sent everywhere (hit my face and landed in the dry mulch). Aside from the multiple steps involved (cutting and welding), this proved to be a very easy and thorough method. Carter is right that there’s a wire mesh substrate between the clay and the outer wall of the cat top and bottom that’s tack-welded at the corners. With my hatch method, I just pulled this out in one piece with my hands.

Sasha<br><br>Post edited by: Ex36, at: 2006/08/19 19:22[/quote] Yep…that mesh is pretty rugged stuff and doesnt want to come out too easy the Carter way.

4bimmers wrote:

[quote]So does par. 9.3.4.1 which states that the exhaust from the cat back can be &quot;modified&quot; allow the cat to be removed? When I got my car, the exhaust was piped straight back to the muffler. I would like to leave it that way if I can.

Andy[/quote]

Definition 8.6 - &quot;Modified&quot; includes removal (last word in the sentence)

9.3.4.1 states &quot;up to and including the cat&quot;