ETA chassis in Spec E30?

Hi there! I am currently in the process of finding an E30 and converting it into a spec racer. I am seeing a 1988 325e tomorrow. I would swap the engine/etc for 325 parts, but am unsure if its chassis is legal according to the SpecE30 rulebook. Section 7.3.1 says any E30 chassis is eligible, but s. 7.3.2. says “Eligible vehicles are listed in Appendix A,” and the ETAs are not listed there. I know that I will have to meet the weight spec of the car from which the engine was swapped, but is the chassis okay?

Thanks! Looking forward to getting started.

Yes it will be legal , I’m in the middle of converting a 318 to 325 for se30 . Your conversion is a little bit easier though . As long as your end result is a 325i , it will be legal …

Go for it! Where are you located?

Thanks for the feedback. I’m in New York.

Also, a follow-up question: are E30 fans/mechanics/people willing to trade 325i motors for 325e motors? How should I go about getting an i engine while also getting rid of the E?

[quote=“SpecE30Builder” post=70959]Thanks for the feedback. I’m in New York.

Also, a follow-up question: are E30 fans/mechanics/people willing to trade 325i motors for 325e motors? How should I go about getting an i engine while also getting rid of the E?[/quote]

Search craigslist for engines:
http://newyork.craigslist.org/que/pts/3636828063.html

I’m in Westchester, NY. If you’re building a motor, I have a short block you can have for beer money

I guess I’ve been looking on the wrong CL forums, I hadn’t come across a quality engine still up for sale.

Anyhow, change of plans: the ETA I was looking at sold, now we’re back to square one. Ed, you wouldn’t happen to have a complete car to go with that short block would you? Or a long block perhaps?

[quote=“SpecE30Builder” post=70961]I guess I’ve been looking on the wrong CL forums, I hadn’t come across a quality engine still up for sale.

Anyhow, change of plans: the ETA I was looking at sold, now we’re back to square one. Ed, you wouldn’t happen to have a complete car to go with that short block would you? Or a long block perhaps?[/quote]

Cheap cars seem to pop-up only from time-to-time on CL; engines and transmissions are more common.

My long block was a 100k mile engine which I locally purchased a few months ago ($300), along with a transmission ($200). I removed the head to have it refreshed; it’s sitting on my workbench, but eventually will go into my car. So I have a long block, but in parts, some of which I’m planning to use.

You may want to try Andy Zimmerman at Drivegear (sponsor here). He’s in NJ and may have some leads on donor cars, parts, etc. Andy could probably build a complete car using the parts he trailers to events as spares for his rental customers. :slight_smile:

Contacted Andy, seems like a great guy, very willing to help me out. Said he’d look around and if anything came up he’d give me a call. Time does happen to be running out for me to purchase a car – does anybody know of an E30 that can be converted into an SE30 car? The 325 engines & diffs are ubiquitous, but finding a chassis that has a manual transmission, semi-functioning drivetrain and electrics for cheap has been impossible. I’ve already logged well over 15 hours in just scanning forums for a car.

Use search tempest to search , you can set it for how many miles you are willing to travel . That’s how I found my e30 donor car .

Hey, another semi-local here in CT. E30 prices are definitely high, and it did take me a while to find a worthwhile chassis. If you see any cars in CT and/or Massachusetts you’d like me to check out for you, give me a shout.