Engine Reassembly General Questions

When my engine blew up in January at Winterfest, I had it hooked and redone. Now, the guy putting it back together isn’t an M20 engine guy, so my question is, what is out of the ordinary on these engines that needs to be checked or dealt with? I’m sure there are things that you want to be careful about on reassembly, things you want to put threadlock on, things you want to put sealer on, etc. Any thoughts? Sorry, I know that this question is vague.

Since the M20 is the only thing I know, I can’t tell common issues from M20 specific issues.

Don’t let anyone hot tank the block in caustic chemicals because they will attack the intermediate shaft bearing. There aren’t that many folks around that will replace an intermediate shaft bearing so damaging it usually means throwing away the block.

There’s a number of good oil pan baffle solutions today that didn’t exist a couple years ago. So in addition to a crankscraper, now’s the time to also put a baffle of some kind in the pan.

“Any thoughts ?” was the question.

Answer, save much aggravation in the short run and money in the long run by finding a M20 “guy”.

While the engine is simple—at least after you’ve assembled a few—it has its share of quirks. Find a good M20 guy.

RP